20th Century Masters:Millennium Colle - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 990
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Mono / Stereo
- Andy McKaie; Andy McKaie (Compilation)
- 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection
Recorded in the 1960s. Includes liner notes by Joseph Laredo.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of MCA's 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection series.
Audio Remasterer: Erick Labson.
Liner Note Author: Joseph F. Laredo.
Recording information: Muscle Shoals, AL.
Like any record company worth their salt, MCA knows a good gimmick when they see it, and when the millennium came around -- well, the 20th Century Masters -- The Millennium Collection wasn't too far behind. Supposedly, the millennium is a momentous occasion, but it's hard to feel that way when it's used as another excuse to turn out a budget-line series. But apart from the presumptuous title, 20th Century Masters -- The Millennium Collection turns out to be a very good budget-line series. True, it's impossible for any of these brief collections to be definitive, but they're nevertheless solid samplers that don't feature a bad song in the bunch. For example, take Etta James' 20th Century volume -- it's an irresistible 11-song summary of her Chess years. There may be a couple of noteworthy songs missing, but many of her best-known songs for the label are here, including "At Last," "Something's Got a Hold on Me," "All I Could Do Was Cry," "Stop the Wedding," "Pushover," "Don't Cry Baby," "Trust in Me," "Tell Mama," "Almost Persuaded," and "I'd Rather Go Blind." Serious fans will want something more extensive, but this is an excellent introduction for neophytes and a great sampler for casual fans, considering its length and price. That doesn't erase the ridiculousness of the series title, but the silliness is excusable when the music and the collections are good. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
- Country of Origin
- Universal Distribution
- Studio / Live
- Etta James
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] At Last
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Something's Got a Hold on Me [1961 Single Version]
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] All I Could Do Was Cry [1960 Single Version]
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Stop the Wedding
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Pushover
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Don't Cry Baby
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Trust in Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] My Dearest Darling
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Tell Mama
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Almost Persuaded
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] I'd Rather Go Blind
- 26m 22s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.