21st Century Breakdown - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 290
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Mono / Stereo
- Butch Vig; Green Day; Butch Vig
- 21st Century Breakdown [PA]
Green Day: Billie Joe Armstrong (vocals, guitar, piano); Mike Dirnt (vocals, bass guitar); Tre Cool (drums, percussion).
Additional personnel: Jason Freese (piano).
Audio Mixer: Chris Lord-Alge.
Audio Remasterer: Ted Jensen.
Recording information: Costa Mesa Studio, Costa Mesa, CA; Jel Studios, Newport Beach, CA; Ocean Way Recording, Hollywood, CA; Studio 890, Oakland, CA.
Photographers: Chris Bilheimer; Marina Chavez.
Arranger: Tom Kitt.
Still enamored of the concept of the concept album more than four years after AMERICAN IDIOT, Green Day unveiled its rock-opera sequel, 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN, in 2009. Like its predecessor, BREAKDOWN wholeheartedly embraces the iconic punk-pop act's shift to a stadium-filling sound, while also remaining loyal to the San Francisco-based trio's progressive sociopolitical outlook. Even with a president in the White House that outspoken frontman Billie Joe Armstrong supports, he still finds plenty to rail against, with much of BREAKDOWN alluding to the earlier Bush years of the new millennium, particularly the surging, Queen-like title track.
Aiding Armstrong and his comrades in their sonic attack against conservative authority is renowned producer (and Garbage member) Butch Vig, best known for helming Nirvana's NEVERMIND. Completely in sync with Green Day's grand vision, Vig helps to create the huge spaces for the band to construct their anthems, as best heard on the resonant anti-war tune "21 Guns." Unabashedly unsubtle and lifted by passionate restlessness, BREAKDOWN succeeds as AMERICAN IDIOT Mark II, proving that Green Day has no intention of scaling back its intriguingly ambitious approach.
- Country of Origin
- Warner Bros.
- WEA (Distributor)
- Green Day
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Song of the Century
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] 21st Century Breakdown
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Know Your Enemy
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Viva la Gloria!
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Before the Lobotomy
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Christian's Inferno
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Last Night on Earth
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] East Jesus Nowhere
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Peacemaker
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Last of the American Girls
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Murder City
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] ¨Viva la Gloria?
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Restless Heart Syndrome
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Horseshoes and Handgrenades
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Static Age, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] 21 Guns
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] American Eulogy: A. Mass Hysteria/B. Modern World
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] See the Light
- Studio / Live
Spin (p.85) - "There's some stretching stylistically: Two different songs called 'Viva La Gloria!' open with piano, while the lush, mid-tempo 'Last Night on Earth' and 'Restless Heart Syndrome' ape mid-period Beatles..."
Entertainment Weekly (p.56) - "Give credit where thrashing, three-chord credit is due....No matter how arrested their style and subject matter, Green Day remain remarkably good at high-blast anthems that burrow directly into the pogo-ing, lizard-brain id." -- Grade: B
Billboard (p.34) - "The album is a call to arms for the digital age, and 20 years into its career, Green Day's ambition continues to dazzle."
Q (Magazine) (p.114) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "Bold, ambitious and revelling in the chaos of our age, 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN is another perfect document of our times."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.132) - "Billie Joe Armstrong isn't afraid to spit out exactly what he's feeling, now matter how nihilistic..."
- Video Disabled
- Chris Dugan; Brad Kobylczak; Andrew Schubert; Brad Townsend; Joe McGrath; Chris Dugan; Brad Kobylczak; Wesley Seidman; Nik Karpen; Andrew Schubert; Brad Townsend; Joe McGrath; Keith Armstrong
No reviews yet.