All Time Greatest Hits - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 540
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Mono / Stereo
- All Time Greatest Hits
Producers: Jerry Kennedy, Jimmy Bowen, Roger Miller.
Compilation producers: Andy McKaie, Cary E. Mansfield.
Includes liner notes by Robyn Flans.
There have been many collections of Roger Miller's hitmaking peak on Mercury over the years, but few have been as comprehensive or as good as Mercury/Chronicle's 2003 CD, All Time Greatest Hits. Spanning 20 tracks over the course of one CD, this contains all the big songs: "Dang Me," "Chug-a-Lug," "Do Wacka Do," "In the Summertime (You Don't Want My Love)," "King of the Road," "You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd," "Kansas City Star," "England Swings," and "Husbands and Wives," among others. All but one track from the seminal 1965 collection Golden Hits is here ("Atta Boy Girl" is the missing culprit -- a good song but not enough to tip the scales in favor of the 38-year-old collection), and it spans further than that record, collecting hits from 1967-1970 and ending with the 1986 hit "River in the Rain." While that final song isn't quite of the standard of what preceded it, it provides a nice closer to a set of songs that unequivocally proves Miller's genius. That might seem like a weighty word for a singer/songwriter whose specialty was lightweight funny songs, but the thing is, those songs have a certain mad ingenious sensibility that nobody else could replicate, and he could dig deeper -- witness "I've Been a Long Time Leavin' (But I'll Be a Long Time Gone)" -- when he wanted to. That side might not be mined as deeply as it could have been here, but that's what previous comps like the King of the Road box is for. This is a hits collection, a summary overview and introduction to his genius, and it succeeds brilliantly on that level. Absolutely essential. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
- Country of Origin
- Mercury Nashville
- Universal Distribution
- Roger Miller (Country)
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Dang Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Chug-a-Lug
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Do Wacka Do
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] In the Summertime (You Don't Want My Love)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] King of the Road
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Engine Engine #9
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] One Dyin' & A Buryin'
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Last Word in Lonesome Is Me, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Kansas City Star
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] England Swings
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Husbands and Wives
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] I've Been a Long Time Leavin' (But I'll Be a Long Time Gone)
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Walkin' in the Sunshine
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Little Green Apples
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Me and Bobby McGhee
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Where Have All the Average People Gone
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] South
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Tomorrow Night in Baltimore
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] River in the Rain
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.