Anthology - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 650
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Texas/W. Coast Blues
- Mono / Stereo
- Clyde Otis; Andy McKaie; Steve Barri
- The Anthology
Personnel includes: Bobby "Blue" Bland (vocals); B.B. King (vocals, guitar); Roy Gaines, Clarence Holliman, Auburn "Pat" Hare, Wayne Bennett, Gerald Sims, Freddy Robinson, Spence Bean, Ray Parker, Jr. (guitar); Johnny Board, Bobby Forte, Jimmy Beck, Bill Harvey, Rayfield Davers, Melvin Jackson, Theodore Arthur, Jerome Richardson, Red Holloway (saxophone); Joe Scott, Melvin Jackson, Henry Boozier, Joseph Harden, Tommy Ferguson, Snooky Young (trumpet); Pluma Davis, Al Thomas (trombone); Connie Mack Booker, Skippy Brooks, Teddy Reynolds (piano); Hamp Simmons, Phil Upchurch, Charles Green (bass); Sonny Freeman, John "Jabo" Starks, Harrell Porter, Charles Polk (drums); Anita Kerr Singers (background vocals).
Recorded between 1952 & 1977. Includes liner notes by Bill Dahl.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Clarence Holliman, Dean Parks, Freddy Robinson , Gerald Sims, Larry Carlton, Mel Brown , Roy Gaines, Wayne Bennett, Ben Benay (guitar); Jimmy Beck, Johnny Board, Bobby Forte (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Monk Higgins (tenor saxophone); Rayfield Davers (baritone saxophone); Joe Scott , Henry Boozier (trumpet); George Bohannon, Pluma Davis (trombone); Chuck Findley, Dick Hyde, Ernie Watts, Jack Kelson, Jr., Paul Hubinon (horns); Michael Omartian (piano, organ); Skippy Brooks, Teddy Reynolds, David Ervin, Johnny Ace , Laythan Armor (piano); Earl Forest, Ed Greene, Sonny Freeman (drums); Warren Haygood (percussion); Ginger Blake, Maxine Willard Waters, Julia Tillman (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Bill Dahl.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (1952); Detroit, MI (1952); Houston (1952); Los Angeles, CA (1952); Memphis (1952); Nashville, TN (1952); Whisky A-Go-Go (1952).
Arrangers: Jay Wellington; George Butcher.
There are a number of excellent Bobby "Blue" Bland collections on the market, but MCA's ANTHOLOGY may outdistance them all. A beautifully compiled and packaged set, ANTHOLOGY covers three decades of the singer's career. Bland's work from the 1980s and after is not represented here, but that's a small matter, since many of his finest recordings (cut on a variety of labels, many of them small independents) date from the '60s and early '70s. It was this material--a sophisticated combination of gutbucket Texas blues and emotive R&B crooning--that came to define the soul sound of the chitlin' circuit
Those familiar with Bland's work will recognize all of the singer's R&B chart classics (from "I Pity the Fool" to "Turn on Your Lovelight" to "Who Will The Next Fool Be?"), as well as important album cuts, while an unreleased live tune shows just how much Bland stretches out in concert. Detailed liner notes give plenty of background on both the recording sessions and Bland himself, but best of all is the remastered sound, which sparkles, and brings Bland's rich voice and uniquely moving delivery into crisp definition. As either an introduction to the legendary vocalist, or as a comprehensive recap for long-time fans, it is impossible to go wrong with ANTHOLOGY.
- Country of Origin
- MCA (USA)
- Studio / Live
- Bobby "Blue" Bland
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Lovin' Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] It's My Life, Baby
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] I Woke up Screaming
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] You've Got Bad Intentions
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] I Smell Trouble
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Farther up the Road
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Little Boy Blue
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] I'm Not Ashamed
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] I'll Take Care of You
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Lead Me On
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Cry Cry Cry
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] I've Been Wrong So Long
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] I Pity the Fool
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Don't Cry No More
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Ain't That Lovin' You
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Who Will the Next Fool Be?
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Stormy Monday Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Turn on Your Love Light
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Yield Not to Temptation
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] 36-22-36
- [ Disc 01 Track 21 ] Call on Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 22 ] That's the Way Love Is
- [ Disc 01 Track 23 ] Ain't Nothing You Can Do
- [ Disc 01 Track 24 ] Share Your Love With Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 25 ] Blind Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 26 ] Ain't Doin' Too Bad, Pt. 1
- [ Disc 01 Track 27 ] These Hands
- [ Disc 01 Track 28 ] I'm Too Far Gone (To Turn Around)
- [ Disc 01 Track 29 ] Good Time Charlie, Pt. 1
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Poverty
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] You're All I Need
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] That Did It
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Driftin' Blues
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] Save Your Love for Me
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Rockin' in the Same Old Boat
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' (But the Blues)
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Chains of Love
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] If You Got a Heart
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Do What You Set Out to Do
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Goin' Down Slow - (stereo single edit)
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] This Time I'm Gone for Good - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] I Wouldn't Treat a Dog (The Way You Treated Me)
- [ Disc 02 Track 15 ] Yolanda - (stereo single)
- [ Disc 02 Track 16 ] I Take It on Home
- [ Disc 02 Track 17 ] It Ain't the Real Thing - (stereo single)
- [ Disc 02 Track 18 ] Let the Good Times Rol
- [ Disc 02 Track 19 ] Soul of a Man, The - (stereo single)
- [ Disc 02 Track 20 ] Soon as the Weather Breaks - (stereo, single)
- [ Disc 02 Track 21 ] Recess in Heaven
- Universal Distribution
- 156m 1s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.