Anthology-Through the Years - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 3 690
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Hard Rock
- Mono / Stereo
- Anthology: Through the Years
ANTHOLOGY: THROUGH THE YEARS includes the previously unreleased "Surrender" and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" (with Stevie Nicks).
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Tom Petty (vocals, guitar, harmonica, keyboards); Mike Campbell (guitar, bass); Benmont Tench (keyboards, background vocals); Howie Epstein (bass, background vocals); Ron Blair (bass); Stan Lynch (drums, background vocals).
Additional personnel: Stevie Nicks (vocals); Scott Thurston (guitar); David A. Stewart (Coral sitar); Donald "Duck" Dunn (bass); Steve Ferrone, Jim Keltner (drums); Jeff Lynne, George Harrison, The Bangles (background vocals).
Producers include: Denny Cordell, Rick Rubin, Jeff Lynne, Jimmy Iovine, Noah Shark.
Recorded between 1976 and August 2000. Includes liner notes by Cameron Crowe.
Digitally remastered by Joe Gaswirt (OceanView Mastering, Los Angeles, California).
Personnel: Tom Petty (vocals, guitar, harmonica, keyboards); Benmont Tench (vocals, keyboards); Stan Lynch (vocals, drums); Howie Epstein, George Harrison (vocals); Mike Campbell , Scott Thurston (guitar); Dave Stewart (coral sitar); Jim Keltner, Steve Ferrone (drums); Phil Seymour (background vocals).
Audio Mixers: George Drakoulias; Jim Scott .
Neatly fitting in between 1993's GREATEST HITS and the 5-CD PLAYBACK box set that came out two years later, this 34-track collection is a chronological tour of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' MCA Records material. The consistent quality found throughout this two-CD set that's bookended by the sinister-sounding "Breakdown" and chiming "Surrender"(a song Petty wrote in the '70s but didn't get around to recording until August 2000) boggles the mind.
Tight playing and a palpable sense of passion from the four-piece Heartbreakers transform songs like "Even the Losers", "Rebels" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" into rock & roll manna. Elsewhere, this Floridian singer-songwriter's sharp eye for pop culture ("Jammin' Me") and storytelling mastery ("Into the Great Wide Open," "Two Gunslingers") become pleasantly recurring characteristics. The inclusion of a scorching live version of the Byrds' "So You Wanna Be a Rock 'N' Roll Star" show Petty and company to be as potent on stage as in the studio. By the end of this musical tour it's hard to argue with the lofty statement Cameron Crowe makes in his liner notes calling Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers "...the greatest and most consistent American band of the last twenty-five years..."
- Country of Origin
- MCA (USA)
- Universal Distribution
- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Breakdown
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] American Girl
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Hometown Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Wild One, Forever, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] I Need to Know
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Listen to Her Heart
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Too Much Ain't Enough
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Refugee
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Here Comes My Girl
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Don't Do Me Like That
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Even the Losers
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Waiting, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Woman in Love, A (It's Not Me)
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Stop Draggin' My Heart Around - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] You Got Lucky
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Straight into Darkness
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Change of Heart
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Rebels
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Don't Come Around Here No More
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Best of Everything, The
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] So You Want to Be a Rock & Roll Star
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] Jammin' Me
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] It'll All Work Out
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Love Is a Long Road
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Free Fallin'
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Yer So Bad
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] I Won't Back Down
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Runnin' Down a Dream
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Learning to Fly
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Into the Great Wide Open
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] Two Gunslingers
- [ Disc 02 Track 15 ] Mary Jane's Last Dance
- [ Disc 02 Track 16 ] Waiting for Tonight
- [ Disc 02 Track 17 ] Surrender - (previously unreleased)
- Studio / Live
Entertainment Weekly (12/1/00, p.102) - "...It's hard to imagine a better summary of the Heartbreakers' 25-year career." - Rating: A
Q (8/01, p.154) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...Conatins most [of his essential tracks], and more, including '81s Stevie Nicks duet..."
Uncut (2/01, p.80) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...A century of great American music from a great American institution..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.