Appalachian Stomp:Bluegrass Classics - (Import CD)
List Price R 209
Discovery Miles 1 810
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Country Rock
- Mono / Stereo
- Appalachian Stomp: Bluegrass Classics
Producers include: Ken Nelson, Harry Silverstein, Don Law, Frank Jones, Jim Dickson.
Compilation producers: Patrick Milligan, James Austin.
Includes liner notes by Patrick Milligan and Mark Humphrey.
Personnel: Ralph Stanley (vocals, tenor, banjo); Ricky Skaggs, Bill Monroe (vocals, tenor, mandolin); J.D. Crowe (vocals, baritone, banjo); Del McCoury, Dale Sledd, Jeff White, Jim McReynolds, Jimmy Martin , Lester Flatt, Rodney Dillard, Tony Rice, Carter Stanley, Charlie Waller (vocals, guitar); Doug Dillard, Eddie Adcock, Mike Harman, Sonny Osborne, Bill Emerson (vocals, banjo); Mother Maybelle Carter (vocals, autoharp); Dean Webb, Jesse McReynolds, John Duffey, Wayne Yates, Bobby Osborne (vocals, mandolin); Bill Baker, Alison Krauss (vocals, fiddle); Emmylou Harris, Mitch Jayne, Roy Acuff (vocals); Joel Price (baritone); Hal Rugg (guitar, steel guitar); Curly Seckler (guitar, mandolin); Doc Watson (guitar, background vocals); Clarence White, Grady Martin, Edd Mayfield, Johnny "Country" Mathis, Ray Edenton, Steve Mandell, Bill Napier, Merle Travis (guitar); Pete "Oswald" Kirby, Jerry Douglas (dobro); Earl Scruggs, Eric Weissberg, Hoke Jenkins, Rudy Lyle, Billy Ray, Marc Pruett (banjo); Jimmie Fadden (harp); Jim Williams , Palmer Williams, John McEuen, Paul Williams , Roland White, Brent Truitt (mandolin); Chubby Anthony, Red Taylor, Gordon Terry, Paul Warren, Art Stamper, Sonny James, Benny Martin, Vassar Clements, Bobby Hicks , Charlie Cline (fiddle); Hargus "Pig" Robbins (piano); Jerry Carrigan, Buddy Harman (drums); Louise Scruggs, Fred Cross, Mike Carr , Gloria Belle, Betty Travis, Martha Flippo, Chet Flippo, Les Thompson, Jeff Hanna, Jimmy Ibbotson, Larry Murray, Randy Scruggs, Ray Martin, Alice McEuen, Steve Scruggs (background vocals).
Audio Remasterers: Chris Clarke; Dan Hersch.
Liner Note Authors: Mark A. Humphrey; Mark Humphrey; Patrick Milligan.
Recording information: Bradley Studio, Nashville, TN (12/11/1949-??/??/1989); Castle Studio, Nashville, TN (12/11/1949-??/??/1989); Cincinatti, OH (12/11/1949-??/??/1989); Nashville, TN (12/11/1949-??/??/1989).
Unknown Contributor Role: Alison Krauss.
Arrangers: Eric Weissberg; John Duffey.
Like many Rhino compilations, this is geared more to the novice or the casual fan than the aficionado, but that's not a criticism. If someone wants a basic primer of the bluegrass sound past and present that manages to be accessible and avoid unduly clich‚d track selection, this 18-song compilation fits the bill well. Most of the biggest names are here (Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, the Dillards, the Stanley Brothers, the Kentucky Colonels, J.D. Crowe, Ricky Skaggs, Alison Krauss), as are some of the genre's top standards ("Blue Moon of Kentucky," "Orange Blossom Special," "Uncle Pen," "Foggy Mountain Breakdown"). The inclusion of Flatt & Scruggs' "The Ballad of Jed Clampett," Eric Weissberg and Steve Mandell's "Dueling Banjos," and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" may rankle purists, but it clears the path to listeners who are only familiar with the idiom through these songs, and may find a lot more that they'll like on the less overexposed performances on this anthology. ~ Richie Unterberger
- Country of Origin
- WEA (Distributor)
- Various Artists
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Uncle Pen - Blue Grass Boys/Bill Monroe
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Foggy Mountain Breakdown - Earl Scruggs/Lester Flatt/Foggy Mountain Boys
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] This Weary Heart You Stole Away (Wake Up, Sweetheart) - Clinch Mountain Boys/The Stanley Brothers
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Are You Missing Me? - Jesse McReynolds/Jim McReynolds/Virginia Boys/Jim & Jesse
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] You Don't Know My Mind - Jimmy Martin
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Rocky Top - Osborne Brothers
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Blue Moon of Kentucky - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Orange Blossom Special - The Stanley Brothers
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Ballad of Jed Clampett, The - Earl Scruggs/Lester Flatt/Foggy Mountain Boys/Lester...
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Dooley - The Dillards
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Nine Pound Hammer - The Kentucky Colonels
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Roving Gambler - The Country Gentlemen
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms - Del McCoury
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Dueling Banjos - Eric Weissberg/Eric Weissburg/Steve Mandell
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Will the Circle Be Unbroken - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Old Home Place - New South/J.D. Crowe
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Little Cabin Home On the Hill - Ricky Skaggs
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Love You In Vain - Alison Krauss/Union Station
- Studio / Live
- Dirty Linen (2-3/96, p.79) - "...this compilation is an excellent introduction to bluegrass, and the disc's 18 jumping, upbeat cuts are bound to garner new fans for the genre....classic offerings by all the biggies, such as Bill Monroe...and even one from today's phenom Alison Krauss".
No reviews yet.