Aretha Franklin:30 Greatest Hits - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 3 650
Free delivery available |
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Stax/Southern Soul
- Mono / Stereo
- 30 Greatest Hits
Personnel includes: Aretha Franklin (vocals, piano); Chips Moman, Jimmy Johnson, Eddie Hinton, Jerry Weaver, Charlie Freeman, Hugh McCracken, Cornell Dupree, Don Arnone, David Spinozza (guitar); Joe Farrell (flute, tenor saxophone); Hubert Laws (flute); The Memphis Horns (horns); Spooner Oldham (electric piano, organ); Richard Tee, Ken Lupper (organ); Barry Beckett, Jim Dickinson, Mike Utley, Donny Hathaway (keyboards); Kenneth Bichel (synthesizer); Tommy Cogbill, David Hood, Tommy McClure, Eric Gale, Chuck Rainey (bass), Roger Hawkins, Sammy Creason, Al Jackson, Ray Lucas, Bernard Purdie, Rick Marotta (drums); Pancho Morales (congas); Robert Popwell, Doctor John, Ralph MacDonald (percussion); Erma Franklin, Carolyn Franklin, The Sweet Inspirations, The Sweethearts Of Soul, The Southern California Community Choir (background vocals); Joe South.
Producers: Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd, Arif Mardin, Aretha Franklin, Quincy Jones.
Compilation producer: Kim Cooke.
Producers: Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd, Arif Mardin, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield.
Compilation producers: Norma Edwards, David Nathan.
Includes liner notes by Norma Edwards.
The title may not be 100-percent accurate, since the songs here are culled from Franklin's soul years, roughly between 1967 and 1974, and she's had lots more hits since then. That nit picked, however, this is a genuine embarrassment of riches, with Aretha's soaring voice and under-appreciated piano decorating one wonderful genre-defining song ("Respect," "Chain of Fools," "Natural Woman," "Since You've Been Gone") after another. The most revelatory cut is probably "I Say a Little Prayer," in which Franklin imbues the song with a spine-tingling gospel flavor without ever losing the pop delicacy of the original Dionne Warwick version. But just about everything else here is essential listening.
- Country of Origin
- Studio / Live
- Aretha Franklin
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Respect
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Dr Feelgood
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Save Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Baby I Love You
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Natural Woman, A (You Make Me Feel Like)
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Chain of Fools
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Since You've Been Gone
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Ain't No Way
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Think
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] I Say a Little Prayer
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] House That Jack Built, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] See Saw
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Weight, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Share Your Love With Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Eleanor Rigby
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Call Me
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Spirit in the Dark
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Don't Play That Song
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] You're All I Need to Get By
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] Bridge Over Troubled Water
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Spanish Harlem
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Rock Steady
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Oh Me Oh My (I'm a Fool For You Baby)
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Day Dreaming
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Wholly Holy
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Angel
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Until You Come Back to Me
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] I'm in Love
- WEA (Distributor)
- Q (7/93, p.106) - 5 Stars - Indispensable - "...[the songs are] all extracted from her golden years, '67-'74, so choice is simply a matter of weighing wonderfulness by the pound..."
- 99m 37s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.