Beach Boys - Smile Sessions (CD)
Discovery Miles 1 750
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Art Rock
- Number of Discs
- Copy Control
- Number of Items
- Media Type
- The Smile Sessions (2CD)
- EMI Catalogue
- Mono / Stereo
Rolling Stone (p.78) - 4.5 stars out of 5 -- "Think of this SMILE as Wilson's first solo album, with those voices as golden brush strokes....There is delight and confidence in Wilson's exchanges with his studio crew."
Rolling Stone (p.75) - Ranked #1 in Rolling Stone's '10 Best Reissues Of 2011' -- "The outtakes take you into Wilson's imagination before it shut down in disappointment."
Spin (p.82) - "Brian Wilson's vision always was more aligned with America's myth than its reality....He sees it end to end, from pilgrim hymnals and banjo-led frontier songs to Hollywood's version of the Wild West..."
Spin (p.51) - Ranked #1 in Spin's 'The Top 10 Reissues Of 2011' -- "[M]ore of a dazzling masterpiece than the original might've been -- America through a prism before rock'n'roll deflowered it."
Billboard (p.40) - "THE SMILE SESSIONS captures Wilson, session musicians and the Beach Boys in moments that are chaotic, loopy and remarkably in synch. It's a consistently brilliant album."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.89) - 5 stars out of 5 -- "There's clarity and dynamism here....There are surprises which have, until now, been hidden away on bootlegs, such as the discarded, jazzed-up version of 'Wonderland'..."
- Pop / Rock
- Release Date
- 11 January 2011
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Our Prayer
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Gee
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Heroes and Villains
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] I'm in Great Shape
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Barnyard
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] My Only Sunshine (The Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine)
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Cabin Essence
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Wonderful
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Look (Song for Children)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Child Is Father of the Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Surf's Up
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] I Wanna Be Around/Workshop
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Vega-Tables
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Holidays
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Wind Chimes
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Elements: Fire, The (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow)
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Love to Say Dada
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Good Vibrations
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] You're Welcome
- [ Disc 01 Track 21 ] Heroes and Villains [Stereo Mix] - (remix)
- [ Disc 01 Track 22 ] Heroes and Villains Sections [Stereo Mix] - (remix)
- [ Disc 01 Track 23 ] Vega-Tables Demo
- [ Disc 01 Track 24 ] He Gives Speeches
- [ Disc 01 Track 25 ] Smile Backing Vocals Montage
- [ Disc 01 Track 26 ] Surf's Up 1967 [Solo Version]
- [ Disc 01 Track 27 ] Psycodelic Sounds: Brian Falls Into a Piano
- [ Disc 01 Track 28 ] [Untitled]
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Our Prayer "Dialog"
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Heroes and Villains, Pt. 1
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Heroes and Villains, Pt. 2
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Heroes and Villains: Children Were Raised
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] Heroes and Villains: Prelude to Fade
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] My Only Sunshine
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Cabin Essence
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Surf's Up: 1st Movement
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Surf's Up: Piano Demo
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Vega-Tables: Fade
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Elements: Fire Session, The
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Cool, Cool Water Version 2
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Good Vibrations Session Highlights
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] [Untitled]
Personnel: Dennis Wilson , Al Jardine, Elliott Lott, Mike Love , Carl Wilson , Brian Wilson , Bruce Johnston .
Audio Mixer: Mark Linett.
Liner Note Authors: Alan Boyd; Mark Linett; Dennis Wolfe; Brian Wilson .
Editors: Alan Boyd; Mark Linett.
Photographers: Guy Webster; Jim Marshall ; Peter Reum; Brian Wilson .
Arranger: Brian Wilson .
The holy grail of classic rock, the Beach Boys' SMiLE album was worked on tirelessly by Brian Wilson, his chosen studio musicians, and the rest of the group during late 1966 and early 1967, but most of the completed tracks were scrapped and lay in disarray for decades while an assortment of sources -- both legal and extra-legal -- gradually began piecing out elements of the whole. (Aside from the numerous bootleg releases, several Beach Boys' albums of the late '60s and early '70s included some material, while the Good Vibrations box set of 1993 featured 30 minutes of SMiLE sessions.) Now, for the first time, Capitol is releasing hours and hours of SMiLE sessions, resulting in one of the most long-awaited releases in modern music history. [The SMiLE Sessions is available in several different editions, all of which include one disc that re-creates what a mono release of SMiLE could've sounded like. A two-CD package adds one disc of sessions tracks, while a Deluxe Edition includes a total of five CDs, two LPs, and two 7" singles -- including the one disc of SMiLE, three discs of SMiLE sessions, and one disc of assorted sessions from the making of the "Good Vibrations" single throughout 1966. The Deluxe Edition also features a 2' x 3' poster, gatefold double LP with accompanying booklet, and a 12" by 12" photo and essay hardcover book.]
- Date Released
- 2011-09-01 00:00:00
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- The Beach Boys
- Alan Boyd; Mark Linett; Brian Wilson; Alan Boyd (Compilation); Mark Linett (Compilation); Dennis Wolfe (Compilation); Brian Wilson (Compilation)
- 143m 5s
No reviews yet.