Bluegrass Mountain Style - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 3 010
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Mono / Stereo
- Bluegrass Mountain Style
BLUEGRASS MOUNTAIN STYLE was originally released as Rounder Bluegrass Vol. 3 in 1988 and MY SWEET LOVE AIN'T AROUND in 2001.
Includes liner notes by Rainer Maria Rilke.
Personnel: Pat Enright (vocals, tenor, guitar); Ricky Skaggs (vocals, tenor, mandolin, fiddle); Del McCoury, Dudley Connell, Jim McReynolds, Peter Rowan, Ron Thomason, Tony Rice (vocals, guitar); Herb Pedersen (vocals, banjo); Jesse McReynolds, Joe Val, Roland White (vocals, mandolin); Alison Krauss (vocals, fiddle); Delia Bell, Robert Whitstein, Hazel Dickens, Bill Grant, Jerry McCoury (vocals); Vince Gill (tenor, guitar); Alan O'Bryant (tenor, banjo); Doyle Lawson, Dave Edmundson (tenor, mandolin); Charles Whitstein (tenor); J.D. Crowe, B‚la Fleck (baritone, banjo); David Grisman (baritone, mandolin); Mary Jo Leet (baritone); John Hisey (bass voice, banjo); Russ Barenberg (guitar, acoustic guitar); David Parmley, Tommy Goldsmith, Lonnie Meeker, Dave Dillon, Norman Blake, Charlie Collins (guitar); Jerry Douglas (dobro); Sam Bush (banjo, mandolin, fiddle); Richard Underwood, Paul Silvius, Marc Pruett, Allen Shelton, Tony Trischka (banjo); Buck White (mandola, mandolin); David McLaughlin (mandolin, fiddle); Mike Compton, Andy Statman, Bob Applebaum (mandolin); Eddie Stubbs, Glen Duncan , Jim Buchanan, Stuart Duncan, Blaine Sprouse, Vassar Clements, Bobby Hicks (fiddle); Joseph Allen, Marty Confurius, Joey Allen (acoustic bass).
Liner Note Author: Rainer Maria Rilke.
Photographer: Marion Post Wolcott.
One of the great strengths of this bluegrass compilation is that, contrary to its title, it offers a very rich cross section of approaches to the tradition -- not only bluegrass mountain-style, but also bluegrass California-style, bluegrass urban-style, and bluegrass progressive-style. For the hardcore mountain stuff there are classic acid grass performances by the McCoury Brothers (whose rock-hard and piercing vocals on "My Sweet Love Ain't Around" constitute one of this album's highlights) and Ricky Skaggs (who delivers an absolutely slamming rendition of the high-lonesome classic "Lost and I'll Never Find the Way"). For a more urban sound you can skip over to mandolinist Andy Statman's swinging "The Whup of Love" or the late Joe Val's Boston-accented take on "Diamond Joe." California bluegrass legend Tony Rice depresses flatpickers everywhere with his fiery and headlong "John Hardy," and Tony Trischka continues his ongoing expansion of the bluegrass banjo vocabulary with his own composition entitled "Crosseyed Cricket," on which he moves easily between meat-and-potatoes Scrugs-style picking and complex melodic passages (B‚la Fleck does much the same thing on his own "Texas Barbecue," which also features some fine work using Keith tuners). And that only scratches the surface of this 22-track collection. Highly recommended. ~ Rick Anderson
- Country of Origin
- Rounder Select
- Universal Distribution
- Various Artists
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Let the Whole World Talk - The Johnson Mountain Boys
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Old Home Place, The - J.D. Crowe & the New South
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Cincinnati Rag - Jerry Douglas
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] My Sweet Love Ain't Around - The McCoury Brothers
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Here Today, Gone Tomorrow - Hazel Dickens
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Texas Barbeque - B‚la Fleck
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Lost and I'll Never Find the Way - Ricky Skaggs
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Sweet Little Miss Blues Eyes - Here Today
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] John Hardy - Tony Rice
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Crosseyed Cricket - Tony Trischka
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Who's That Kinockin' at My Door? - Dreadful Snakes
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Your Letter's Overdue - Delia Bell/Bill Grant/Delia Bell & Bill Grant
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Leather Britches - Sam Bush
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Someone Play Dixie for Me - Dry Branch Fire Squad
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Diamond Joe - Joe Val & The New England Bluegrass Boys
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Whup of Love, The - Andy Statman
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Too Late to Cry - Alison Krauss
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] You Are the One - Jim & Jesse
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Cherokee Maggie - Blaine Sprouse
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Old Devil's Dream - The Nashville Bluegrass Band
- [ Disc 01 Track 21 ] I'd Rather Be Alone - The Bluegrass Album Band
- [ Disc 01 Track 22 ] Rose of My Heart - The Whitstein Brothers
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.