Bob Dylan Live 1975 - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 3 160
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Folk Rock
- Mono / Stereo
- The Bootleg Series, Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975 - The Rolling Thunder Revue
Personnel: Bob Dylan (vocals, acoustic & electric guitar); Joan Baez, Roger McGuinn (vocals, guitar); Bobby Neuwirth, Steven Soles (guitar, background vocals); Mick Ronson, T-Bone Burnett (guitar); David Mansfield (steel guitar, dobro, mandolin, violin); Scarlet Rivera (violin); Howie Wyeth (piano, drums); Rob Stoner (bass); Luther Rix (drums, congas, percussion); Ronee Blakely (drums).
Compilation producers: Jeff Rosen, Steve Berkowitz.
Includes liner notes by Larry "Ratso" Sloman.
Bob Dylan's 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue can be seen as a reaction to his tour of the year before with the Band. Playing arenas in a pressurized atmosphere left little room for the kind of happy musical accidents that were so central to Dylan's live ethos. Rolling Thunder was more suited to his mercurial vision; a spontaneously planned and executed series of gigs with an odd assortment of players in a ragtag kind of gypsy caravan. In the repertoire, Dylan found a way to have fun with his legacy by reinventing some of his classics and simultaneously present tunes from his more contemporary albums (BLOOD ON THE TRACKS and DESIRE) with suitable verve. In this regard, these shows can actually be seen as a template for his subsequent Never Ending Tour.
The songs from DESIRE, from the allegorical "Isis" to the biting, sociopolitical narrative "Hurricane" are powered by Scarlet Rivera's electric violin and the thick, aggressive guitar tone of Mick Ronson. Dylan's early folk days get a nod via some heart-tugging solo acoustic performances and a series of duets with Joan Baez. Obviously charged with passion and fully immersed in the moment, Dylan singing with gut-wrenching intensity on both the ballads and the rockers, providing a kind of transcendent catharsis that's now happily documented for posterity.
- Country of Origin
- Sony Music Distribution (
- Bob Dylan
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] It Ain't Me, Babe
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall, A
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Romance in Durango
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Isis
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Mr. Tambourine Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Simple Twist of Fate
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Blowin' in the Wind
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Mama, You Been on My Mind
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] I Shall Be Released
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Love Minus Zero / No Limit
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Tangled up in Blue
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Water Is Wide, The
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Oh, Sister
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Hurricane
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] One More Cup of Coffee (Valley Below)
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Sara
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Just Like a Woman
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Knockin' on Heaven's Door
- Studio / Live
Rolling Stone (12/26/02, p.104) - Included in Rolling Stone's "50 Best Albums of 2002"
Rolling Stone (11/28/02, p.94) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...[The collection] captures the Fellini-esque splendor and chaos of the caravan..."
Entertainment Weekly (11/29/02, p.104) - "...The latest installment in his Bootleg Series of rarities affords us our biggest peek to date into this mysterious, mythical period of Dylan's career. Its two discs are revealing..." - Rating: B
Q (1/03, p.134) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...Dylan's vocals ooze an almost missionary urgency....[The band] creates a molten, gloriously loose sound..."
Mojo (Publisher) (12/02, p.131) - "...LIVE 1975 is both of history and outside it....It demands repeated playing from anyone keen and exhilarated to hear life pour from their stereo speakers..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.