Boy from Down Under:Very Best of - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 860
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Pop Vocal
- Mono / Stereo
- The Very Best of Peter Allen: The Boy from Down Under
Personnel includes: Peter Allen (vocals, keyboards).
Producers include: Brooks Arthur, Dick Bozzi, Richard Landis, Joel Dorn, Peter Allen.
Compilation producer: Mike Ragogna.
Recorded between 1971 & 1985. Includes liner notes by Tony Sachs.
Australian Peter Allen, who passed away in 1992, will probably be best remembered as a brilliant songwriter and flamboyant performer rather than as a charting artist. Indeed, his own chart successes were modest, but cover versions of his material have been pure gold for many major acts, including "Jennifer" for teen idol Bobby Sherman, "I Honestly Love You" for fellow Aussie Olivia Newton-John, and "Don't Cry Out Loud" for Melissa Manchester. His songwriting range -- tender ballads through to poppier fare and even campy fun numbers like "I Go to Rio" -- has rarely been rivaled. And while his career was neither as long nor prolific as other piano men like Elton John and Billy Joel, his work is arguably in their league. The Very Best of Peter Allen: The Boy from Down Under captures the cream of Allen's career on one highly engaging disc. All but two of the 20 tracks were penned or co-penned by Allen. Highlights include his moving 1972 ballad about his grandfather, "Tenterfield Saddler" (Allen was born in the town of Tenterfield, N.S.W.), the Judy Garland tribute "Quiet Please, There's a Lady on Stage," his ragtime-style classic "Everything Old Is New Again," and a live version of "Arthur's Theme (The Best That You Can Do)" recorded at Carnegie Hall in the mid-'80s. But perhaps the jewel in the crown is his poignant ode to his homeland, "I Still Call Australia Home." A vivacious performer with a poet's sensitivity, this album spans the moods and melodies that made Peter Allen such a special artist. ~ Adrian Zupp
- Country of Origin
- Universal Distribution
- Peter Allen (Piano)
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Honest Queen
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Tenterfield Saddler
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Just Ask Me I've Been There
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Everything Old Is New Again
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] I Honestly Love You
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] She Loves to Hear the Music
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I Go to Rio
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Quiet Please, There's a Lady on Stage
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] More I See You, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] I Could Have Been a Sailor
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Don't Wish Too Hard
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Don't Cry Out Loud
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] I'd Rather Leave While I'm in Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] One Step Over the Borderline
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Fly Away
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Bi-Coastal
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] I Don't Go Shopping
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] I Still Call Australia Home
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] You Haven't Heard the Last of Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) - (live)
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.