Butterfly - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 290
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Pop Vocal
- Show Vocals
- Mono / Stereo
- Jon Peters
Personnel: Barbra Streisand (vocals); Ben Benay, Larry Carlton (guitar); Tom Scott (woodwinds); Clarence McDonald (keyboards); Max Bennett (bass); John Guerin (drums); King Errisson (congas); Gary Coleman (percussion).
This record, possibly more than any other Streisand release, shows Streisand's soul. The songs have that extra bit of depth to them, showing that Babs can really dig deep and produce some powerful stuff. It's Barbra's turn at R&B done her way, and she hangs with the best of them. "Love In The Afternoon" is a sweet ballad, with the aforementioned soul ringing throughout. "Guava Jelly" is Barbra trying her hand at some tropical music, with excellent congas, percussion, and steel drums.
She turns in a distinctive performance of Bill Withers' "Grandma's Hands," while the mid-tempo "Jubilation" continues the funky theme with an added choir. The highlight of the record is "Simple Man," beautifully arranged with acoustic guitar, piano, and cello. Streisand voices her longing, exclaiming "I just wanna hold you/I don't wanna hold you down/I don't wanna make it on my own." The album runs from humorous to deep, while showing a more spiritual side to the Funny Girl.
- Country of Origin
- Columbia (USA)
- Studio / Live
- Barbra Streisand
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Love in the Afternoon
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Guava Jelly
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Grandma's Hands
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] I Won't Last a Day Without You
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Jubilation
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Simple Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Life on Mars?
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Since I Don't Have You
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Cryin' Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Let the Good Times Roll
- Sony Music Distribution (
- 35m 40s
- Hank Cicalo; Michael Lietz
No reviews yet.