Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
Fixed Focal Lens
Discovery Miles 17 890
On Credit: R / month
This item is in stock in our CPT warehouse and can be shipped from there.You can also collect it yourself from our warehouse during the week or over weekends.
This item is in stock in our JHB warehouse and can be shipped from there. No collection facilities available, sorry!
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Free delivery available |
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
1 Year Limited Warranty. Learn more
What's in the Box?
- E-49 49mm Lens Cap
- Lens Dust Cap E (Rear)
- Limited 1-Year Warranty
- EF Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.8
- Optimized Lens Coatings
- STM AF Motor Supports Movie Servo AF
- Manual Focus Override
- Metal Lens Mount
- Rounded 7-Blade Diaphragm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 14''
- Focal Length: 50mm
- Aperture: Maximum: f/1.8
- Camera Mount Type: Canon EF
- 35mm Film / Full-Frame Digital Sensor
- Canon (APS-C)
- Angle of View: 46 degrees
- Minimum Focus Distance: 14'' (35.56 cm)
- Magnification: 0.21x
- Elements/Groups: 6/5
- Diaphragm Blades: 7, Rounded
- Autofocus: Yes
- Filter Thread: Front: 49 mm
- Dimensions (DxL): Approx. 2.7 x 1.6'' (68.58 x 40.64 mm)
- Weight: 5.7 oz (162 g)
- Package Weight: 0.65 lb
- Box Dimensions (LxWxH): 4.4 x 4.3 x 4.0''
One of the most versatile focal lengths available, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens from Canon pairs this classic lens design with enhancements to the AF system and physical design that make it both faster and smaller. Utilizing an STM stepping motor, this lens is ideal for both still and video shooting due to its speedy and smooth operation. Further benefitting video shooters, the STM motor also supports the Movie Servo AF mode on select DSLRs for precise and near-silent focusing. An updated exterior design includes a metal lens mount and a re-located focusing ring in order to accommodate the compact overall form factor. The 50mm f/1.8 is a classic, tested lens design, and thanks to enhanced autofocus and a svelte profile, this lens is ideal for everyday shooting in a wide variety of conditions.
The optical design of this lens incorporates optimized coatings that help to reduce flare and ghosting for increased contrast and color neutrality. The f/1.8 maximum aperture is effective for low-light shooting as well as for controlling your focus plane for selective focus shooting. Seven rounded diaphragm blades further enhance the look of out of focus regions in an image, making it well-suited to portraiture and creative environmental shooting.
- Standard prime 50mm lens is designed for use on full-frame EOS DSLR, however can also be used with APS-C-sized sensors where it will provide an 80mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also enables precise control over the focus plane when working with selective focus techniques. Seven rounded diaphragm blades further contribute to a pleasing out of focus quality with shallow depth of field imagery.
- A gear-type STM stepping motor is incorporated into the lens' design to provide quick, smooth, and near silent autofocus performance. Additionally, this focusing mechanism also pairs well with EOS cameras featuring the Move Servo AF mode to enable continuous focusing performance when working in live view.
- Full-time manual focus override is available for fine-tuning your focus position for selective focus applications.
- Optimized lens coatings help to suppress lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and more color-neutral imagery.
- An enhanced exterior design features a metal lens mount for durability as well as a re-located focusing ring to maintain a compact 2.7 x 1.5'' form factor.
Tyrone, South Africa. 11 January 2017
Great lens. Perfect balance of cost versus performance. Love it.
Paul, South Africa. 12 April 2016
Deffinitely my favorite lense. Bit of a fragile build but amazing quality optics.
Adrian, South Africa. 5 December 2016
One of the best lenses around for its price,A prime lens for a bargain,best results for exceptional sharpness is f5.6-F8,Beautiful Bokeh blurred back round with lower F stops.
Tariq, South Africa. 4 October 2016
Great value for money! This is a perfect lense for anyone looking to step it up a notch from their kit lenses.
One thing to note, if you are using a crop sensor camera this lense will be "like" a 80mm lens on a full frame camera. (So if you want true 50mm representation on your crop sensor camera, you would need a 30-35mm lense)
I knew this therefor it does not affect my review, but you might not be aware of this fact.
With that said, this is a perfect lens for portraits on a crop sensor camera. Decently sharp at F1.8 and extremely sharp at F2.8-F16 in my usage. The Bokeh is beautiful and nice and smooth. Low light performance is great due to the wide open aperture.
The build quality is decent for what you pay, the mount is metal (not plastic).
Overall, this is a product I would recommend to all who want that Professional like quality pictures. It's a great prime lens to use for portraits.
Of course any lens will not make you a pro, that you will need to learn and study. A lens is simply a tool.
Coleen, South Africa. 14 November 2016
Service and product great as usual. Thank you.
Johann, South Africa. 3 October 2016
A "nifty fifty" is definitely a must have, and this one is great. The F1.8 is also great for low light photography.
Matthew Bishop, South Africa. 4 March 2016
Awesome little lens! Nice and large aperture for shooting portraits or low light.
Arno, South Africa. 10 February 2017
Best value for money for any lens out there! Amazing image quality. Just an absolute joy to use. Nifty-fifty indeed!
Yashik, South Africa. 14 November 2016
Good Value for money. Crisp clean shots. Focusing ring is smooth and seamless. The motor does make a slight noise when autofocusing however it's much less than previous versions.
Kurt, South Africa. 12 March 2016
Marissa, South Africa. 2 February 2016
Very nice lens!
Felix, South Africa. 29 November 2015
Awesome lense, the bokeh effect is amazing, brings out the depth on subjects?
Annette, South Africa. 24 May 2016
Great little lens - really happy with the portraits I am getting so.
Thys, South Africa. 12 August 2016
A magic lens. Just what I wanted. This will make a huge difference to my portrait photography
Jean-Pierre, South Africa. 5 September 2016
Rocking it on a crop sensor and loving the results!
Donavan, South Africa. 30 September 2016
This is an awesome little lens. I couldn't believe a lens with such a low f-stop has such a low price. Good value for money and great quality.
Gertruida, South Africa. 1 December 2015
I love this little lens. It's sharp at the focus point(s) with a perfectly shallow depth of field. Up until now I could only get this effect with my very expensive and very heavy macro lens. I can't wait to try this gem out on sunsets, bokeh, my dogs, and of course, my grandchildren.
Neil , South Africa. 23 June 2016
A must have for any photographer. Sharp and quick.
Matthew, South Africa. 17 November 2016
A great upgrade from its previous model. Incredibly sharp images with fast , quiet focus. Great lens at a great price, no kit is complete without it.
Thalia, South Africa. 18 May 2016
Love this lens. Bokeh is great and the product is definitely of Canon quality - well built and fantastic!
Nicole, South Africa. 19 November 2016
Every Photographers Must Have!! AWESOME SUPER HAPPY
Thabani, South Africa. 27 October 2016
The item comes as described.
Hellmut, South Africa. 17 October 2016
An awesome product.. Love it