Captain Beyond - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 870
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Hard Rock
- Mono / Stereo
- Captain Beyond
- Captain Beyond [Remaster]
Captain Beyond: Rod Evans (vocals); Rhino (acoustic guitar, guitar, slide guitar); Lee Dorman (bass, background vocals, piano); Bobby Caldwell (drums, percussion, background vocals, piano, vibraphone, bells).
Recorded at Sunset Sound Recorders, Hollywood, California.
Digitally remastered by Steven Fallone, Polygram Studios.
Personnel: Bobby Caldwell (vocals, piano, keyboards, vibraphone, drums, percussion, bells, background vocals); Lee Dorman (vocals, piano, keyboards, bass guitar, background vocals); Rod Evans (vocals, background vocals); Larry "Rhino" Rheinhart (guitar, acoustic guitar, slide guitar); Reese Wynans (piano, electric piano); Paul Hornsby (organ); Martin Rodriguez (drums, background vocals); Guille Garcia (congas, percussion).
Audio Mixer: Johnny Sandlin.
Recording information: Sunset Sound Recorders, Hollywood, CA.
Illustrator: Joe Garnett.
Photographer: Gene Brownell.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Mike "Clay" Stone ; John Stronach; Kalifornia Kurt Kinzel; Ovie Sparks.
Arranger: Captain Beyond.
Captain Beyond is a one-of-a-kind progressive album with rock, heavy metal, and jazz influences with a "space rock" lyrical bend. Formed by former members of Deep Purple (Rod Evans, vocals), Iron Butterfly (Rhino, lead guitar, and Lee Dorman, bass), and Johnny Winter (Bobby Caldwell, drums) Captain Beyond is an album that flows from riff to riff, drumbeat to drumbeat, often with various time signatures within the same song. Taking a tip from the Moody Blues, songs flow directly into each other without benefit of any lag time between selections. Taken as a whole, the album is kind of a rush, as quick, riff-laden guitar lines predominate for a few songs before slowing down temporarily into a lull until the next takeoff. Lyrically, the album differentiates itself by exploring themes of the outer world and meanings of existence, often with references to the moon, sea, sun, and so on. Listeners may get the feeling of taking a journey to space in a rocket ship headed for destination unknown. Musically, the album is superior in all aspects. Rod Evans has a strong rock voice, Rhino plays an enormous amount of hook-laden guitar lines, and Lee Dorman plays complex basslines (for example, at the end of "As the Moon Speaks-Return") that lead to typically rhythmic, nimble Bobby Caldwell drumming. The tightness between musicians is enormous, never lets up for long, and leaves the listener feeling like the ride should continue for the indefinite future. ~ Michael Ofjord
- Country of Origin
- Capricorn (USA)
- Studio / Live
- Captain Beyond
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Dancing Madly Backwards (On a Sea of Air)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Armworth
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Myopic Void
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Mesmerization Eclipse
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Raging River of Fear
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Thousand Days of Yesterdays (Intro)
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Frozen Over
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Thousand Days of Yesterdays (Time Since Come and Gone)
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] I Can't Feel Nothin', Pt. 1
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] As the Moon Speaks (To the Waves of the Sea)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Astral Lady
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] As the Moon Speaks (Return)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] I Can't Feel Nothin', Pt. 2
- Fontana Distribution
- Record Collector (magazine) (p.76) - "The very apotheosis of hairy-shouldered, Harley-straddling early 70s American hard rock."
- 35m 7s
- Video Disabled
- Wayne Dailey; Wayne Dailey
No reviews yet.