Classic Concerts (Ntsc) - (Australian Import DVD)
Starring Muddy Waters et al
List Price R 101
Discovery Miles 950
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Musical & Performing Arts
- Pop Music
- Music Video
- Music (General)
- Blues Music
- Blues Singers
- Live Performances
- Number of Discs
- Number of Items
- Muddy Waters - Classic Concerts [DVD] 
- Country of Origin
- English (Original)
- Released By
- Universal Music & Video Distribution
- TV System
- Release Status
- In Print
- Running Time
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] (I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Tiger in Your Tank
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Rollin' Stone
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Got My Mojo Working
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Mean Mistreater/Going to Chicago Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Back at the Chicken Shack
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Train Fare Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] (I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Long Distance Call
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Nobody Knows My Trouble
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Cold Cold Feeling
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Got My Mojo Working
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Tiger in Your Tank
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Intro/Evan's Shuffle
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Prison Bound Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Blow Wind Blow
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] (I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Baby Please Don't Go
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Can't Get No Grindin'
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] You Don't Have to Go
- [ Disc 01 Track 21 ] Got My Mojo Working
- [ Disc 01 Track 22 ] Blues Had a Baby and they Named It Rock & Roll, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 23 ] Interviews from the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test and the Molde Jazz ...
Personnel: Luther "Guitar Junior" Johnson (vocals, guitar); Otis Spann (vocals, piano); Jimmy Rushing, Sammy Price (vocals); James "Pee Wee" Madison, Pat Hare, Bob Margolin (guitar); Willie B. Thomas (acoustic guitar); Butch Cage (fiddle); Jerry Portnoy, Paul Oscher (harmonica); Pinetop Perkins (piano); Francis Clay, S.P. Leary (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Phillip Galloway; David Peck; Bill Wyman; Bob Margolin.
Editor: David Peck.
Photographers: Richard Havers; Ian Dickson; Val Wilmer; David Redfern; Bob Margolin.
Classic Concerts is one of those rare historical music compilation DVDs for which there's nothing significant to criticize, and much to praise. The bulk of the two-hour disc is devoted to three Muddy Waters concerts from different eras, including his historical 1960 Newport Jazz Festival appearance, a 1968 show at the Copenhagen Jazz Festival, and a 1977 gig at the Molde Jazz Festival in Norway. Although the black-and-white Newport footage does not capture the entire concert (much of which has never circulated), it does contain 26 minutes, with Muddy backed by an excellent band including two blues stars in their own right (pianist Otis Spann and harmonica player James Cotton). This is definitely the most exciting portion of the DVD, including fine versions of his staples "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man," "Tiger in Your Tank," "Rollin' Stone," and above all an extended "Got My Mojo Working." Waters' shakes and shivers are truly spine-chilling on that last number, with some levity introduced by a section where he dances with Cotton. The finale, "Mean Mistreater/Going to Chicago Blues," where several other singers are brought on for cameos, is relatively inessential. But this segment is still one of the top vintage blues-on-film documents of all, enhanced for this DVD by the syncing of stereo live recordings to three of the songs to improve the audio (though "Rollin' Stone" and "Mean Mistreater" remain in the original mono film sound).
By the time of the 1968 Denmark show (also shot in black-and-white), only Spann was remaining from the Newport band. It's a somewhat more staid and less electrifying performance, but still sturdy Chicago blues, though Paul Oscher's harmonica seems undermiked. Waters was less mobile by the time of the 1977 concert (shown in color), sitting on a stool throughout most of the show (whereas before a serious 1969 car accident he'd stood). Again, however, this is still a respectable showcase for his intact vocal talents, with "Got My Mojo Working" and "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" remaining in his set (as they had at the Denmark gig as well). Brief but worthwhile bonus features include a 1977 London performance of "The Blues Had a Baby and They Named It Rock & Roll"; a 1972 British TV interview; and an interview done at the 1977 Molde show where Waters patiently responds to rather clich‚d questions, asking his interrogator to "bring it to me straight, brother" when the interviewer gingerly asks whether Muddy's music has political aspects. Detailed liner notes, mostly written by Bob Margolin (who plays guitar behind Waters in the 1977 Norwegian footage) and also featuring an appreciation from Bill Wyman, are also included in this high-grade package. ~ Richie Unterberger
- Similar Releases
- Studio / Live
- Release Notes
Full Frame - 1.33
- Video Disabled
- Not Rated
- Muddy Waters
- Phillip Galloway; David Peck
- Muddy Waters - Classic Concerts (Primary Title - English)
No reviews yet.
Region 2 - Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Greenland, French Overseas departments and territories.
Region 3 - Southeast Asia, South Korea, Republic of China (Taiwan), Hong Kong, Macau.
Region 4 - Mexico, South America, Central America, Caribbean, New Zealand, Australia, Papua New Guinea and much of Oceania.
Region 5 - Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Africa (except Egypt, South Africa, Swaziland, and Lesotho), Central and South Asia, Mongolia, North Korea.