Cloud Nine - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 930
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Mono / Stereo
- Norman Whitfield
- Cloud Nine
The Temptations: Eddie Kendricks, Dennis Edwards, Paul Williams, Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin (vocals).
Includes original release liner notes by Chester Higgins. Originally released on February 17, 1969.
CLOUD NINE found the Temptations trading in the matching suits, string-sweetened arrangements, and songs about innocent romance that typified their smooth pop of the mid-1960s for groovy threads, socially conscious lyrics, and driving, rhythmic song structures. The title track is all one needs to know that Motown's golden boys have "turned on" in the best way possible. With its open feel (the group's usual singalong chorus formula is replaced by percussion-heavy jams and vocal interchanges) and lyrics about economic hardship and drugs, "Cloud Nine" signaled that the times were a-changin' indeed.
The group's take on "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" reinvents the song via a funky, reggae-touched rhythm and intriguing vocal arrangements. "Runaway Child, Running Wild," with its insistent bongos and fierce, raw-throated leads, further upends the Motown tradition. The rest of the disc returns to the group's classic sound with smooth ballads ("Love Is A Hurtin' Thing"), wistful pop ("Hey Girl"), and old-school soul ("I Need Your Lovin'"), showing the Temps with one foot still in the past, while the other reaches out toward the psychedelic soul of the '70s and beyond. CLOUD NINE is a document of American soul music in transition.
- Country of Origin
- Studio / Live
- The Temptations (R&B)
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Cloud Nine
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] I Heard It Through the Grapevine
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Runaway Child, Running Wild
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Love Is a Hurtin' Thing
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Hey Girl
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Why Did She Have to Leave Me (Why Did She Have to Go)
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I Need Your Lovin'
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Don't Let Him Take Your Love From Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] I Gotta Find a Way (To Get You Back)
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Gonna Keep on Tryin' till I Win Your Love
- Universal Distribution
- Q (10/99, p.161) - Included in Q Magazine's Best Motown Records Of All Time - "...socially concerned, aggressive and bordering on psychedelic. CLOUD NINE was deemed 'too progressive'....The result still sounds fresh and immediate 30-odd years on."
- 35m 11s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.