Company (Ocr)(Original 1970 Broadway - (Import CD)
List Price R 149
Discovery Miles 1 400
This item is in stock in our JHB warehouse and can be shipped from there. No collection facilities available, sorry!
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Pop Vocal
- Show Vocals
- Mono / Stereo
- Company [Original Broadway Cast Recording] [Digipak]
Music and lyrics written by Stephen Sondheim.
Principal cast includes: Dean Jones (Robert); Donna McKechnie (Kathy); Barbara Barrie (Sarah); Charles Kimbrough (Harry); Elaine Stritch (Joanne); Pamela Myers (Marta); Susan Browning (April); Beth Howland (Amy).
Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studios, New York, New York on May 2 & 3, 1970.
John Doyle's 2009 Broadway revival of Stephen Sondheim's COMPANY allows fans the opportunity to revisit the original recording with a new appreciation. This 2009 release of the 1970 Broadway cast recording still sounds remarkably fresh, carrying all the verve and enthusiasm of that cast's performances. Included here are Sondheim classics such as "Another Hundred People," "The Little Things You Do Together," and "Barcelona." The reissue allows new fans (especially those who first saw COMPANY in revival) to discover this gem of musical theater.
Composer/Lyricist: Stephen Sondheim.
Having learned from the best in the business, Stephen Sondheim broke the mold of the Broadway musical. After several less successful attempts to crack the big time, Sondheim finally did it in 1970 with COMPANY. Although virtually plotless and loaded with irony, the show was a huge success. The initial run lasted for 690 performances, and the production won six Tony Awards, including best music and best lyrics for the composer. The marathon recording sessions for the cast album were equally remarkable, and the whole drama was captured in a documentary film by D.A. Pennebaker.
While the subject matter was new to the musical stage, the music was thoroughly in the tradition, with baroque orchestrations, intricate ensemble numbers, and moving solos. The score turned out such classic Sondheim pieces as "Sorry-Grateful," "The Little Things You Do Together," and "The Ladies Who Lunch," and the cast was made up of Broadway's best, including Dean Jones, Barbara Barrie, Charles Kimbrough, and Elaine Stritch. COMPANY was an essential record from the day it was released, and the remastered CD version sounds as if it had been recorded yesterday.
- Country of Origin
- Masterworks Broadway
- Studio / Live
- Various Artists
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Company, musical: Act 1. Company - Dean Jones
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Company, musical: Act 1. The Little Things You Do Together
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Company, musical: Act 1. Sorry-Grateful - George Coe/Charles Braswell/Charles Kimbrough
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Company, musical: Act 1. You Could Drive A Person Crazy - Susan Browning/Pamela Myers
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Company, musical: Act 1. Have I Got A Girl For You - George Coe/John Cunningham/Charles Braswell/Charles Kimbrough
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Company, musical: Act 1. Someone Is Waiting - Vocal Minority
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Company, musical: Act 1. Another Hundred People - Pamela Myers
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Company, musical: Act 1. Getting Married Today - Steve Elmore/Teri Ralston
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Company, musical: Act 2. Side By Side By Side / What Would We Do / Without You?
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Company, musical: Act 2. Poor Baby - Beth Howland/Merle Louise/George Coe/Barbara Barrie/Teri Ralston/Charles Kimbrough
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Company, musical: Act 2. Tick-Tock - Vocal Minority/Susan Browning
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Company, musical: Act 2. Barcelona - Susan Browning
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Company, musical: Act 2. The Ladies Who Lunch
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Company, musical: Act 2. Being Alive
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Company, musical: Act 2. Finale
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Company, musical: Being Alive
- Sony Music Distribution (
- 61m 26s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.