Cradlesong - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 390
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Rob Thomas (Matchbox Twenty)
- Copy Control
- Matt Serletic
- Listening to cradlesong, the second album from Matchbox Twenty singer/songwriter Rob Thomas, it's hard not to think of him as a man out of time, making big music for a world of miniature niches. Thomas makes music as if it was the turn of the millennium, when there were cross-demographic radio formats and stores to goose sales to diamond status, traits that still serve him well when he's constructing sonic skyscrapers even if the results don't necessarily feel at home in the modern skyline. With its urgent hooks and surging sincerity, cradlesong is recognizably Thomas's work, right down to its lower-case typography, but with the assistance of longtime producer Matt Serletic he's tweaked the formula of his 2005 solo debut SOMETHING TO BE in judicious ways, using his worldbeat inflections as an underpinning instead of flair. This is a record built on careful details in its production and lyrics, constructed with discipline and eager to be taken seriously. This dogged sense of purpose does result in a tighter, better record than SOMETHING TO BE and even when it's not a lot of fun, it's not meant to be: it's big music about big issues, even inflating personal issues to the universal. If it seems somewhat out of step with its year, that almost makes Thomas' somber, determined craft admirable - he's doing this not because it'll give him a hit but because he believes in it.
- Country of Origin
- WEA (Distributor)
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Her Diamonds
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Gasoline
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Give Me The Meltdown
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Someday
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Mockingbird
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Real World '09
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Fire On The Mountain
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Hard On You
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Still Ain't Over You
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Natural
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Snowblind
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Wonderful
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Cradlesong
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Getting Late
- Studio / Live
Rolling Stone (p.80) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] more straightforward modern-rock album, with a bit of country twang thrown in....There is plenty of unexpected texture to keep your ears engaged."
Billboard (p.34) - "[With] an impressive sonic span that includes everything from the Eastern-tinged 'Fire on the Mountain' to the countrified twang of the affectingly intimate 'Getting Late'..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.