Dylan Bob - Bootleg Series 8: Tell Tale Signs (CD)
Discovery Miles 2 530
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock 'N' Roll
- Copy Control
- Number of Items
- The Bootleg Series, Vol. 8: Tell Tale Signs - Rare and Unreleased 1989-2006
- Country of Origin
- English (Original)
- Sony Music Distribution (
- Released By
- Universal Music & Video Distribution
- Mono / Stereo
- TV System
Rolling Stone (p.76) - 4.5 stars out of 5 -- "TELL TALE SIGNS makes plain that Dylan knows the caprices of the world he lives in, now more than ever. Just as important, this collection bears witness to Dylan's reclamation of voice and perspective."
Rolling Stone (p.88) - Ranked #2 in Rolling Stone's 50 Best Albums Of 2008 -- "The veering tempers of Dylan's medicine-rattle rasp are a wonder to themselves."
Entertainment Weekly (p.70) - "[T]he generally superb TELL TALE SIGNS repurposes known material in simple, languid, semi-acoustic settings that hark back to '70s classics like BLOOD ON THE TRACKS." -- Grade: A
Mojo (Publisher) (p.122) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "Dylan's second album with Lanois, TIME OUT OF MIND, is represented by a nice, slow blues alternative take of 'Can't Wait' and four songs that didn't make the final cut....Top prizes go to gutbucket 'Lonesome Day Blues' and harmony-laden 'Cocaine Blues'..."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.86) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "The overriding lesson from these TELL TALE SIGNS is of Bob's immaculate role as performer. There is no one 'final version' of a track -- just the one that happens to make sense on the day."
Uncut (magazine) - 5 stars out of 5 -- "TELL TALE SIGNS is awash with evidence of his staggering mercuriality, his evident determination even in the studio to repeat himself as little as possible..."
- Release Status
- In Print
- South Africa
- Release Date
- 1 May 2012
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Mississippi - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Most of the Time - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Dignity - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Someday Baby - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Red River Shore - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Tel Ol' Bill - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Born in Time - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Can't Wait - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Everything Is Broken - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Dreamin' of You - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Huck's Tune
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Marchin' to the City - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] High Water (For Charley Patton) - (previously unreleased, live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Mississippi - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] 32-20 Blues - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Series of Dreams - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] God Knows - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] Can't Escape from You - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Dignity - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Ring Them Bells - (previously unreleased, live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Cocaine Blues - (previously unreleased, live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Ain't Talkin' - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Girl on the Greenbriar Shore, The - (previously unreleased, live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Lonesome Day Blues - (previously unreleased, live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Miss the Mississippi - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Lonesome River, The - (featuring Ralph Stanley)
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] Cross the Green Mountain
- Date Released
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
Personnel: Bob Dylan (vocals, guitar, harp, harmonica, piano, organ); Ralph Stanley (vocals, guitar, banjo); Donnie Herron (guitar, steel guitar); Daniel Lanois (guitar, dobro, organ); Larry Campbell (guitar, violin); Glen Lowe, Robert Britt, Tommy Morrongiello, David Bromberg, Denny Freeman, Duke Robillard, Freddy Koella, James Alan Shelton, John Jackson, Mason Ruffner, Ralph Stanley II, Stuart Kimball, Brian Stoltz, Charlie Sexton (guitar); Bucky Baxter (slide guitar, electric slide guitar, steel guitar, pedal steel guitar); Cindy Cashdollar (slide guitar, dobro); Steve Sparkman (banjo); Jeff Wisor, Dick Fegy (mandolin, fiddle); John Rigsby (mandolin); Elana Fremerman (violin); James Price (fiddle); Augie Meyers (accordion, organ); John Firmin (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Peter Ecklund (trumpet); Curtis Linberg (trombone); Tony Mangurian (piano, drums, percussion); Jim Dickinson, Benmont Tench (organ); Christopher Cameron, Chris "Hambone" Cameron (keyboards); Robert Amiot, Tony Hall, Tony Garnier (bass instrument, bass guitar); Jack Cooke (upright bass); Winston Johnson, David Kemper, Winston Watson (drums, percussion); Jim Keltner, Willie Green , Richard Crooks , George Recile, Brian Blade (drums); Malcolm Burn (tambourine); Cyril Neville, Darryl Johnson (percussion).
Audio Mixers: Chris Shaw ; Pablo Wheeler; Malcolm Burn; Mark Wilder; Bil VornDick.
Liner Note Author: Larry Sloman.
Recording information: ACME Recording, Chicago, IL (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); Cote D'Opale Kursaal, Dunkerque, France (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); Criteria Studios, Miami, FL (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); Larrabee East, Los Angeles, CA (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); Malibu, CA (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); National Car Rental Center, Sunrise, FL (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); New York, NY (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); Oakes Garden Theatre, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); Rebel Records (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); Studio 4, Conshohocken, PA (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); The Studio, New Orleans, LA (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); The Supper Club, New York, NY (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); Westland Studios, Dublin, Ire (03/??/1989-05/13/2006); Wolf Trap Filene Center, Vienna, VA (03/??/1989-05/13/2006).
Editor: Damian Rodriguez.
Photographers: Lynn Goldsmith; Larry Keegan; Ken Regan; Lorey Sebastian; Mark Seliger; David Gahr; Kevin Mazur; Ana Maria Valez; Giulio Molfese; John Werner ; Randee Saint Nicholas; William Claxton; Marlene Rosenberg; Jim McCarthy; Danny Clinch.
This eighth chapter in Dylan's epic Bootleg Series covers the era bookended by 1989's OH MERCY and 2006's MODERN TIMES. As the only installment with its own unique title, TELL TALE SIGNS acts in some ways as its own original record and the fourth salvo in the renaissance kicked off by 1997's TIME OUT OF MIND. A deeply satisfying two-disc set, TELL TALE SIGNS argues emphatically that these albums were no fluke, but rooted in a significantly broader, deeper wellspring of creativity. Unconcerned with the contemporary zeitgeist, Dylan synthesizes old forms--from rockabilly to jump blues; from Jimmie Rodgers-esque parlor balladry to country gospel--into his millieu with extraordinary ease, and rides various ace line-ups (which feature such stalwarts as guitarist/fiddler Larry Campbell, guitarist Charlie Sexton, and organist Augie Meyers) into an isolated dreamland soaked with spring reverb and pulsating tremolo. The stranger in these songs may be familiar, but now his visions thrum with nostalgia and regret.
The highlights are many. A devastating acoustic demo of the OH MERCY stand-out "Most of the Time" rescues the song from Daniel Lanois's overweaning production on the original. "Red River Shore" and "Marchin' to the City"--cut from the final sequence of TIME OUT OF MIND--smolder. Two vastly different alternate versions of both the OH MERCY-era single "Dignity" and LOVE AND THEFT's "Mississippi" reveal the degree to which Dylan plumbs a song's performative possibilities. Still restless, still aching, still remarkable, TELL TALE SIGNS is yet another revelation in a career already crowded with them.
- Studio / Live
- Release Notes
Full Frame - 1.33
- Video Disabled
- Not Rated
- Bob Dylan
- Daniel Lanois; David Bromberg; Jeff Rosen; Jack Frost; Bil VornDick; Daniel Lanois; David Bromberg; Jeff Rosen; Jack Frost; Jeff Rosen (Compilation)
- Wolfmother - Please Experience Wolfmother: Live (Primary Title - English)
- 137m 6s
- Mark Howard; Micajah Ryan; Bil VornDick; Chris Shaw; Greg Calbi; Malcolm Burn; Mark Howard; Micajah Ryan
No reviews yet.