Essential Artie Shaw - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 770
Free delivery available |
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Jazz Instrument
- Big Band
- Mono / Stereo
- Barry Feldman (Compilation); Barry Feldman (Reissue)
- The Essential Artie Shaw
Personnel: Artie Shaw (clarinet); Artie Shaw; Tony Pastor (vocals, tenor saxophone); Tony Gottuso, Jimmy Shirley (guitar); Clark Dick, Jerry Jerome (tenor saxophone); Johnny Best (trumpet); Jack Jenney, Vernon Brown (trombone); Bob Kitsis (piano); George Wettling, Nick Fatool (drums); Hot Lips Page (vocals, trumpet); Helen Forrest, Lena Horne, Leo Watson, Billie Holiday (vocals); Al Hendrickson (guitar, electric guitar); Barney Kessel (guitar); Harry Bluestone (violin); Les Robinson (alto saxophone); Georgie Auld (tenor saxophone); Manny Klein, Henry "Red" Allen, Max Kaminsky, Roy Eldridge, Billy Butterfield (trumpet); George Arus, Ray Conniff (trombone); Johnny Guarnieri (piano, harpsichord); Dodo Marmarosa, Skitch Henderson, Les Burness (piano); Buddy Rich (drums).
Liner Note Author: Lloyd Rauch.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (12/23/1936-08/02/1953); Hollywood, CA (12/23/1936-08/02/1953); New York, NY (12/23/1936-08/02/1953).
Arrangers: Artie Shaw; Jerry Gray; Lennie Hayton; William Grant Still.
ESSENTIAL is an appropriate title for this double-disc collection of Artie Shaw's music. The temperamental, progressive bandleader and clarinetist was one of the top figures in swing, and his arrangements and recordings of classic songs (Cole Porter's "Begin the Beguine," for example) are definitive documents of the era. Shaw's own prowess as an instrumentalist, and his innovative techniques--his use of exotic melodies ("Frenesi") and orchestral strings ("Temptation"), for instance--further heighten his appeal. All of these qualities and more are represented on this comprehensive, superbly compiled set.
- BMG (distributor)
- Artie Shaw
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Begin the Beguine
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Special Delivery Stomp
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Non-Stop Flight
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Deep Purple
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Oh, Lady Be Good
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Scuttlebutt
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Shoot the Likker to Me, Johnny Boy
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] St. James Infirmary Blues, Pts. 1-2
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Georgia on My Mind
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] April in Paris - (from "Walk A Little Faster")
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Any Old Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] All the Things You Are
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Back Bay Shuffle
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] (When Your Heart's on Fire) Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Tabu
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Blues in the Night
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Concerto for Clarinet, Pts. 1-2
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Frenesi
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Summit Ridge Drive
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Take Your Shoes Off, Baby
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] It Had to Be You
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] Don't Take Your Love from Me
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Indian Love Call
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Dancing in the Dark
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Deep in a Dream
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] I Can't Believe That You're in Love with Me
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Star Dust
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Room with a View, A
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Temptation
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Streamline - (previously unreleased, take)
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] Traffic Jam
- [ Disc 02 Track 15 ] What Is This Thing Called Love?
- [ Disc 02 Track 16 ] Yesterdays
- [ Disc 02 Track 17 ] You're a Lucky Guy
- [ Disc 02 Track 18 ] Alone Together - (from the musical production "Flying Colors")
- [ Disc 02 Track 19 ] These Foolish Things
- [ Disc 02 Track 20 ] Nightmare
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.