Fields of Gold:the Best of Sting - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 990
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Mono / Stereo
- Fields of Gold: The Best of Sting 1984-1994
Personnel includes: Sting (vocals, guitar, bass), Stoker (programming).
Producers: Hugh Padgham, Sting (tracks 1, 3-4, 8, 10, 14), Pete Smith, Sting (tracks 2, 5, 13), Neil Dorfsman, Sting (tracks 6-7, 9, 11-12).
Digitally remastered by Bob Ludwig and Mark Mazzetti (Gateway Mastering Studios).
All songs written by Sting.
"When We Dance" was nominated for a 1996 Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance.
Emerging from new wave on the wings of hits like "Roxanne" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me," the Police perfected an appealing synthesis of reggae, pop and freewheeling instrumental flourishes rooted in the power trio conventions of earlier electric blues bands.
Yet for all the elemental tension Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland brought to each arrangement, Sting's keening tenor and canny ear for melodic hooks propelled the band's popularity. As his writing skills matured through SYNCHRONICITY, Sting's need for artistic control--and a tighter rhythmic focus--necessitated a band in which he was the unquestioned leader.
FIELDS OF GOLD chronicles the work of a classic pop vocalist who is simply unwilling to rest on his laurels--a wide ranging collection of brainy power pop, with two new songs ("When We Dance" and "This Cowboy") acting as stylistic bookends. Saxophonist Branford Marsalis and bassist Daryl Jones add key elements of jazz and soul to such confessional hits as "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" and "Fortress Around Your Heart," while Sting's infatuation with Brazilian music animates the tender "Fragile." As his metaphysical and political muse evolved, Sting's orchestrations grew more ambitious, from the reggaeish strings of "Englishman In New York," through the lush, keyboard-inflected R&B of "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" and the edgy funk of "We'll Be Together." FIELDS OF GOLD is a remarkably classy, consistent set of tunes.
- Country of Origin
- A&M (USA)
- Universal Distribution
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] When We Dance - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] If You Love Somebody Set Them Free
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Fields of Gold
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] All This Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Fortress Around Your Heart
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Be Still My Beating Heart
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] They Dance Alone (Cueca Solo) - (Spanish)
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] If I Ever Lose My Faith in You
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Fragile
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Why Would I Cry For You?
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Englishman in New York
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] We'll Be Together - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Russians
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] This Cowboy Song - (previously unreleased)
- Studio / Live
Entertainment Weekly (11/11/94, p.76) - "...Addicted to lounge-jazz tapestries and proverbs pretending to be profound....but he's melodic enough that his pretension barely gets in the way....His best solo hits could almost pass for the Police..." - Rating: B
Q (12/94, p.172) - 4 Stars - Excellent - "...[it's] strength lies in the esoteric moments when, unusually for a middle-aged former chart-topper, Sting shows no fear of experimentation...from Andean pipes, through flamenco guitar and...funk to the...reggae where it all began..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.