Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy (CD)
Discovery Miles 1 640
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Jazz Instrument
- Number of Items
- Lumpy Gravy
- Country of Origin
- Mono / Stereo
- Audio CD
Q (8/95, pp.150-151) - 4 Stars - Excellent - "A vibrant musique concrete collage spliced from bits of pop, Motorhead Sherwood's reminiscences of cars and girls, found sounds and exuberant avant-garde orchestral themes..."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.139) - "A lesson in how to deconstruct rock music...the equivalent of spinning through your radio dial and enjoying snatches of unconnected dialogue..."
Mojo (Publisher) (7/95, p.102) - "...a journey close to the centre of the Zappa mind. [LUMPY GRAVY] intercuts cheesy rock 'n' roll, orchestral avant-gardisms and snatches of demented babble from assorted Mothers of Invention and girlfriends..."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.50) - Ranked #23 in Mojo's "The 50 Most Out There Albums Of All Time" - "Apparently Frank's favourite, LUMPY GRAVY is certainly a masterpiece. Of sorts."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] The Way I See It, Barry
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Duodenum
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Oh No
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Bit of Nostalgia
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] It's From Kansas
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Bored Out 90 Over
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Almost Chinese
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Switching Girls
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Oh No Again
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] At the Gas Station
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Another Pickup
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] I Don't Know If I Can Go Through This Again
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Very Distraughtening
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] White Ugliness
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Amen
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Just One More Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] A Vicious Circle
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] King Kong
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Drums Are Too Noisy
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Kangaroos
- [ Disc 01 Track 21 ] Envelops the Bath Tub
- [ Disc 01 Track 22 ] Take Your Clothes Off
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Lumpy Gravy, Pt. 1: The Way I See It, Barry/Duodenum/Oh No/Bit of ...
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Lumpy Gravy, Pt. 2: Very Distraughtening/White Ugliness/Amen/Just ...
- Pop / Rock
- 27m 50s
Personnel includes: Frank Zappa (vocals, guitar); Jim Haynes, Tommy Tedesco, Al Viola, Dennis Budimer (guitar); Ted Nash, John Rotella, Bunk Gardner, Gene Cipriano (woodwinds); Jimmy Zito (trumpet); Vincent De Rosa, Richard Parisi (French horn); Kenneth Shroyer (trombone); Paul Smith, Mike Lang, Pete Jolly (keyboards); John Balkin, Jimmy Bond, Lyle Ritts (bass); Johnny Guerin, Frankie Capp, Shelly Manne (drums); Emil Richards, Victor Feldman (percussion); Louie The Turkey, Spider, Pumpkin (background vocals).
Recorded in February 1967.
Personnel: Dennis Budimer, Jim Haynes, Al Viola, Tommy Tedesco , Tony Rizzi (guitar); Jerome Reisler, James Getzoff, William Kurasch, Harold Ayres, Leonard Selic, Joseph Saxon, Jerome Kessler, Joseph DiFiore, Alexander Koltun, Harold G. Remko, Tibor Zelig, Harry Hyams, Leonard Malarsky, Bernard Kundell, Raymond J. Kelly, Philip Goldberg, Arnold Belnick, Ralph Schaeffer, Jesse Ehrlich (strings); Jules Jacob, Don Christlieb, Gene Cipriano, John Rotella, Ted Nash, Bunk Gardner (flute, bass flute, piccolo, bass clarinet, contrabass clarinet, e flat clarinet, oboe, English horn, bassoon, contrabassoon, woodwinds, alto saxophone, bass saxophone); Jimmy Zito (trumpet); Arthur Maebe, Richard Parisi, Vincent DeRosa (French horn); Kenny Shroyer (trombone); Lincoln Mayorga, Mike Lang, Paul Smith , Pete Jolly (piano, celesta, harpsichord); Victor Feldman, Alan Estes, Gene Estes, Emil Richards (vibraphone, marimba, timbales, timpani, percussion, bell, gong); John Guerin, Shelly Manne, The Frankie Capp (drums).
Editor: Frank Zappa.
Arranger: Frank Zappa.
Was it that Zappa's music was so far ahead of its time, or was it just not what we thought a weirdo genius like him should be doing? Either way, since his death, his stature as a serious composer has grown. Lumpy Gravy missed most by a mile because it was the first of Zappa's 'challenging' orchestral pieces, and not what his audience had come to expect. Performed by the Abnuceals Emuukha Electric Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, it was a lengthy instrumental suite broken up by equally 'challenging' dialogue. On the back cover, Frank looks out and asks, 'is this phase 2 of We're Only In It For The Money?'. No, we don't think so.
- Universal Distribution
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Frank Zappa
- Frank Zappa
- Date Released
- 2012-07-01 00:00:00
No reviews yet.