Gossip - Music For Men (Repackage) (CD + DVD)
List Price R 238
Discovery Miles 2 250
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Number of Items
- Music for Men [Bonus DVD] [Bonus Tracks]
- CD + DVD
- Country of Origin
Rolling Stone (p.67) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[H]ere, with help from Rick Rubin, they remake themselves as a badass dance machine."
Spin (p.82) - "12 Rick Rubin-produced tracks spanning minimalist disco, post-punk, and garage....A tightly wound disco-punk conjugation."
Billboard (p.32) - "The dark single 'Heavy Cross' features ragged guitars accompanied by Ditto's sharp velvety voice..."
Q (Magazine) (p.130) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "Ditto's one-of-a-kind voice still bestrides everything, sometimes strangled and punky, sometimes gutsy and soulful, sometimes oddly sweet."
Uncut (magazine) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[A] tour de force....Brace Paine's guitar sounds like it could saw through marble....Ditto has one of the best soul-punk set of pipes on the planet, she really goes to town here..."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Dimestore Diamond
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Heavy Cross
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] 8th Wonder
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Love Long Distance
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Pop Goes The World
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Vertical Rhythm
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Men In Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] For Keeps
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] 2010
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Love And Let Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Four Letter Word
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Spare Me From The Mold
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] The Breakdown
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Heavy Cross
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Pop Goes The World
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Listen Up
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] 2012
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Love Long Distance
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Men In Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Standing In The Way Of Control
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Heavy Cross - Video
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Love Long Distance - Video
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Pop Goes The World - Video
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Four Letter Word - Video
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] Heavy Cross - Live
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Love Long Distance - Live
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Pop Goes The World - Live
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Men In Love - Live
- Pop / Rock
- The Gossip close MUSIC FOR MEN with a song called "Spare Me from the Mold," but Beth Ditto, Nathan Paine, and Hannah Billie could never be accused of conforming. They were still a relatively underground group when STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL's passionate mix of punk, soul, and disco became their breakthrough - and they sounded so confident on it, it felt like the mainstream was coming to them rather than vice versa. They've got their own piece of the pop (and pop culture) mainstream now, and MUSIC FOR MEN feels aboveground in the best possible way. Befitting its major-label debut, this is the band's most polished music yet, a balance of CONTROL's ferocity and the sleek remixes of the album's singles, but it's still not slick. Most of MUSIC FOR MEN finds the Gossip sticking to their roots and using their success to get their messages out to as many people as possible. These songs are just as empowering as their earlier work, though they're more subtly defiant. "Dimestore Diamond" opens the album with a tough-strutting anthem about a woman who's faking it till she makes it, and it's clear how much the band identifies with her, even though Ditto became an avant-garde fashion plate in the wake of CONTROL's success. "Men in Love" sets lyrics like "we're guilty of love in the first degree" to a liberated beat and jagged guitars, and "Love and Let Love"'s chilly disco acts as armor for Ditto's heartbreak. While the Gossip still play like a band, the production often favors Ditto's voice - not that this is a bad thing: she brings soulful fury to "8th Wonder" and much more tartness to the excellent "Love Long Distance" than a more conventional diva might (the clever chorus "I heard it through the bassline/Not much longer would you be my baby" doesn't hurt, either). However, the band still tears into "Heavy Cross" - which sounds a lot like a slightly glossier STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL track - like the old days. This urgency drives all of these songs, whether it's the bright '80s pop of "For Keeps" or "2012"'s unlikely but captivating mix of Pat Benatar-channeling vocals and end-of-the-world drama. While it isn't quite as honed as STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL, on MUSIC FOR MEN the Gossip sound perfectly at home in their new digs, while remaining true to their essence.
- Sony BMG
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- The Gossip
- Date Released
- 2010-10-01 00:00:00
No reviews yet.