Greatest Golden Hits - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 310
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Pop Vocal
- Mono / Stereo
- Greatest Golden Hits
Personnel: Charles Aznavour (vocals).
Arrangers: Steve Jeffries; Claude Denjean; Gordon Jenkins; Christian Gaubert; James Newton Howard; Jeremy Lubbock; Paul Mauriat; Tommy Oliver; Will Malone; Del Newman.
The aptly-titled GREATEST GOLDEN HITS, an exquisite 20-song compilation, focuses on Charles Aznavour's later career, when the Paris-based singer was recording much of his material in English in an attempt to break the US market. Coming both stylistically and chronologically between older pop crooners like Maurice Chevalier and younger, rock and roll-influenced artists like Serge Gainsbourg and Jacques Dutronc, Aznavour is possibly best described as the Frank Sinatra of France. Indeed, most of his American releases during this period were on Sinatra's Reprise label.
Whether singing in English or French, Aznavour's commanding jazz-inflected voice holds more than a hint of world-weariness, adding a rueful edge to such songs as "Yesterday When I Was Young" and "A Blue Like the Blue of Your Eyes." GREATEST GOLDEN HITS is an excellent introduction to this under-appreciated singer.
- Country of Origin
- EMI Angel (USA)
- Studio / Live
- Charles Aznavour
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] After Loving You (De T'Avoir Aim‚e)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Happy Anniversary (Bon Anniversaire)
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] It Will Be My Day (Je M'Voyais D‚j…)
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Boheme, La (La BohŠme)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] She (Tous Les Visages d'Amour)
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Old Fashioned Way, The (Les Plaisirs D‚mod‚s)
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] What Makes a Man (Comme Ils Disent)
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Yesterday, When I Was Young (Hier Encore)
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] You've Got to Learn (Il Faut Savoir)
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] How Sad Venice Can Be
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Ave Maria
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Hold Back the Night (Retiens la Nuit)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] I Didn't See the Time Go By (Je N'Ai Pas Vu le Temps Passer)
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] I'll Be There
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Times We've Known, The (Les Bons Moments)
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] You've Let Yourself Go (Tu T'Laisses Aller)
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Baraka, La
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] And I in My Chair (Et Moi Dans Mon Coin)
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Sunday's Not My Day (Je Hais les Dimanches)
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Blue Like the Blue of Your Eyes, A (Plus Bleu Que le Bleu de Tes Yeux)
- EMI Music Distribution
- Entertainment Weekly (5/3/96, p.79) - "...Whether he's dealing with a drag queen's loneliness or an aging wife's fading allure, the substance--and his casual, commanding vocal style--holds our attention." - Rating: A
- 70m 44s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.