Halihal, Rachid - Arabian Music From Morocco (CD)
Discovery Miles 2 390
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Number of Items
- Media Type
- Arabian Music From Morocco
- Country of Origin
- Arc Music
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Alalla Y'lali
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Dor Biha Ya Shiban
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Lemalin
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Elazri
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Mahani Ezin
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Khalini M'Aak
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Kaftan'k Mahloul
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Jeet N'Saydou
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Attar, L'
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Ana Dene Den Allah
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Ana l'Ayla Moulati
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Fen Shak Li'atetk
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Rassael Al'ageran
- Traditional/world Music
- Release Date
- 1 March 2010
- South Africa
Personnel: Rachid Halihal (vocals, oud, violin, darabukka, rik); Jim Nortstrom (bass instrument).
Liner Note Authors: Rachid Halihal; Eva Cernik.
Translators: Jeannine Blanpain; Ute Entwistle.
Arranger: Rachid Halihal.
There's little doubt that Rachid Halihal is a very talented musician. On this CD he's a virtual one-man band, singing, playing oud, violin, and percussion, completely replicating a small Arabic ensemble. Although a resident of the U.S., he grew up in the Fez region of Morocco and fully absorbed its music. The mostly traditional material (the exception is the closer, "Rassael Al'ageran," a solo oud piece) is deliberately light, made up of love songs, superbly arranged and performed, as Halihal not only layers instruments, but also lead and the chorus of backing vocals. His violin playing in particular is outstanding, notably on the ending of "L'attar," but he's no slouch anywhere else, either, a persuasive, melodious singer and a very articulate, active oudist (listen to the subtlety he uses on "Ana Dene Den Allah," for instance, where the line shadows the voice and works around it). An excellent CD of Moroccan music that goes beyond Gnawa to present the real folk sound.
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Rachid Halihal
- Date Released
No reviews yet.