Hampton Hawes - Four! (CD)
Discovery Miles 1 910
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Jazz Instrument
- Number of Discs
- Number of Items
- Four! Hampton Hawes!!!!
- Original Jazz Classics / Fantasy
- Universal Distribution
- Mono / Stereo
- Q (3/95, p.117) - 3 Stars - Good - "...this makes for classic '50s jazz--joyful but jazz-literate--and most of this record is just that, not least because of the sterling contributions of Red Mitchell and Shelly Manne on bass and drums respectively..."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] None
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Yardbird Suite
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] There Will Never Be Another You
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Bow Jest
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Sweet Sue
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Up Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Like Someone in Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Love Is Just Around the Corner
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Thou Swell [Bonus Track]
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Awful Truth [Bonus Track], The
- South Africa
Personnel: Hampton Hawes (piano); Barney Kessel (guitar); Red Mitchell (bass); Shelly Manne (drums).
Recorded at Contemporary's studio, Los Angeles, California on January 27, 1958. Originally released on Contemporary (7553). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1988, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Hampton Hawes (piano); Barney Kessel (guitar); Shelly Manne (drums).
Liner Note Author: Nat Hentoff.
Recording information: Contemporary's Studio, Los Angeles, CA (01/27/1958).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Red Mitchell; Shelly Manne; Barney Kessel.
Pianist Hampton Hawes' 1950s recordings for the Contemporary label are at such a high level that they could all be given five stars. This outing with bassist Red Mitchell, drummer Shelly Manne, and guitarist Barney Kessel (who is a slight wild card) is also quite successful. Two previously unreleased numbers ("Thou Swell" and "The Awful Truth") have been added to the CD reissue. Highlights of the exciting bop date include "Yardbird Suite," "There Will Never Be Another You," and "Love Is Just Around the Corner." ~ Scott Yanow
- Date Released
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Hampton Hawes/Barney Kessel
- Lester Koenig
- 53m 0s
- Roy DuNann
No reviews yet.