I Am What I Am - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 980
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Mono / Stereo
- I Am What I Am
Personnel: George Jones (vocals, guitar); The Jordanaires, Millie Kirkham (background vocals).
Producer: Billy Sherrill.
Reissue producer: Al Quaglieri.
Recorded at CBS Recording Studios, Nashville, Tennessee. Includes liner notes by George Jones and Glenn Gass.
Digitally remastered by Joseph M. Palmaccio (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
This is part of Legacy's American Milestones series.
George Jones spent much of the late 1970s in a cocaine and alcohol-induced haze, spiraling down into a state of dissipation that eventually landed him in the hospital. A well-publicized stint in rehab was followed by the recording of I AM WHAT I AM, an album that bears the imprint of Jones' rough and rowdy past, as well as his uncertainty over what the future held. Drinking is the central focus of many of the songs on I AM WHAT I AM. Best among them are "If Drinking Don't Kill Me, Her Memory Will," a tune destined to be remembered as one of Jones' signature tunes, and "I've Aged Twenty Years In Five."
Elsewhere, Jones sings about barroom pickups ("A Hard Act To Follow," "Brother To The Blues"), patient women and their philandering husbands ("Good Hearted Woman," "Bone Dry"), and good old fashioned cheating ("I'm The One She Missed Him With Today"). Of course, what really distinguishes I AM WHAT I AM is the presence of "He Stopped Loving Her Today," easily the best single of George Jones' later career. As on most 1980s country records, the slick production is an acquired taste.
- Country of Origin
- Sony Music Distribution (USA)
- Sony Music Distribution (
- George Jones
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] He Stopped Loving Her Today
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] I've Aged Twenty Years in Five
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Brother to the Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] I Drinkin' Don't Kill Me (Her Memory Will)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] His Lovin' Her Is Gettin' in My Way
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] I'm Not Ready Yet
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I'm the One She Missed Him With Today
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Good Hearted Woman
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Hard Act to Follow, A
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Bone Dry
- Studio / Live
- No Depression (7-8/00, p.95) - "...The rarest of Nashville creations, an album that demands to be taken seriously as a comprehensive, complex work of art....[a] masterpiece."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.