Jimi Hendrix - Live at Woodstock (Blu-ray)
Discovery Miles 2 540
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Musical & Performing Arts
- Performing Arts
- Music (General)
- Rock Bands
- Rock Music
- Concert Footage
- Number of Discs
- Copy Control
- Number of Items
- Live at Woodstock [Blu-Ray]
- Country of Origin
- Released By
- Sony Legacy
- Mono / Stereo
- TV System
Rolling Stone (1/25/95, p.51) - Voted Best Reissue Album in the 1995 Reader's Poll.
Rolling Stone (8/19/99, p.112) - 3 stars out of 5 - "...LIVE AT WOODSTOCK somehow humanizes this deity....a glimpse of an artist consumed by the pursuit...and underscores the supreme difficulty of his nightly quest."
Q (9/99, p.132) - 3 stars (out of 5) - "...[a] loud and enthusiastic set, where a new band add a smidgeon of funkiness to the Experience sound...which on the plus side features the superb 'Star Spangled Banner', a zippy 'Lover Man' and some hilarious introductions..."
MESSAGE TO LOVE
SPANISH CASTLE MAGIC
JAM BACK AT THE HOUSE
STAR SPANGLED BANNER
- Sony Music
- Release Status
- In Print
- South Africa
Personnel: Jimi Hendrix (vocals, guitar); Larry Lee (guitar); Billy Cox (bass, background vocals); Mitch Mitchell (drums); Juma Sultan, Jerry Velez (percussion).
Compilation producers: Janie Hendrix, Eddie Kramer, John McDermott.
Recorded live at the Woodstock Festival, Bethel, New York on August 18, 1969. Includes liner notes by David Fricke.
Jimi Hendrix was the headliner at the 1969 Woodstock Festival. Ironically, he got to go on around dawn on Monday morning, by which time there were only (...only) 60,000 remaining parishoners--the last act. Hendrix's Gypsy Sun & Rainbows emerged from a communal summer of jamming in the upstate arts community, but these other musicians are largely inauidble. So what we have in WOODSTOCK is a high energy test flight of Hendrix's last two touring trios, featuring Experience-drummer Mitch Mitchell and Jimi's old Army buddy, the groove oriented Fender bassist, Billy Cox.
Following hot on the heels of the acclaimed BLUES, this second gem from the Hendrix archives finds Hendrix in transition: from a rock and pop approach, to Sky Church music--Jimi's free form synthesis of blues, modal jazz, funk and ethnic sources. An early arrangement of "Hear My Train A-Comin'," and such old warhorses as "Red House" and "Voodoo Child" are given spirited blues treatments. Following the national anthem, Jimi builds to another emotional catharsis with his breathtaking "Woodstock Improvisation"--which showcases his taste for modern jazz and flamenco--while his poignant instrumental reverie "Villanova Junction" reflects the influence of Wes Montgomery. This one is an essential for fans--WOODSTOCK showcases Jimi Hendrix as a guitarist's guitarist.
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Message to Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Spanish Castle Magic
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Red House
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Lover Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Foxey Lady
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Jam Back at the House
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Izabella
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Fire
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Star Spangled Banner
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Purple Haze
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Woodstock Improvisation
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Villanova Junction
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Hey Joe
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Road to Woodstock, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Jimi Hendrix Live at Woodstock: A Second Look
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Jimi Hendrix Press Conference
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Nashville Rooms
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Recording Woodstock
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Rare Artifacts & Memorabilia
- Studio / Live
- Release Notes
Blu-ray Disc Features:
Full Frame - 1.33
Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
DTS HD Master Audio - English
Subtitles - English, French, German, Spanish
- Video Disabled
- Jimi Hendrix
- Sound Formats
- Dolby Digital 5.1
- Jimi Hendrix: Live at Woodstock (Primary Title - English)
- Sony BMG
No reviews yet.