Kris Kristofferson - Essential Kris Kristofferson (CD)
Discovery Miles 1 690
This item is in stock in our JHB warehouse and can be shipped from there. No collection facilities available, sorry!
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Copy Control
- Number of Items
- Essential Kris Kristofferson
- Country of Origin
- USA / Canada
- Mono / Stereo
- Audio CD
Q (p.134) - 4 stars out of 5 - "One of the most insightful country writers of the '70s..."
Uncut (p.116) - 4 stars out of 5 - "[H]e brought an outsider's perspective to Music City's staid conservatism that drew from the confessional folk of Fred Neil and the freewheelin' narrative of Dylan."
Mojo (Publisher) (2/04, p.114) - 4 stars out of 5 - "[G]athering the best of his '70s solo sides and making a persuasive case for him as one of country's great storytellers."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Disc 1
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Jody And The Kid
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Loving Her Was Easier (than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] For The Good Times
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Come Sundown
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] From The Bottle To The Bottom
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Billy Dee
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Breakdown (a Long Way From Home)
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] The Silver Tongued Devil And I
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] The Taker
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] The Pilgrim: Chapter 33 (live)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] To Beat The Devil
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Just The Other Side Of Nowhere
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Me And Bobby Mcgee
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] The Best Of All Possible Worlds
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Casey's Last Ride
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Help Me Make It Through The Night
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Darby's Castle
- South Africa
- Release Date
- 16 February 2004
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] To Beat the Devil
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Just the Other Side of Nowhere
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Me and Bobby McGee
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Best of All Possible Worlds, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Casey's Last Ride
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Help Me Make It Throught the Night
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Darby's Castle
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Jody and the Kid
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Loving Her Was Easier (That Anything I'll Ever Do Again)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] For the Good Times
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Come Sundown
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] From the Bottle to the Bottom
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Billy Dee
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Breakdown (A Long Way from Home)
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Silver Tongued Devil and I, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Taker, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Pilgrim: Chapter 33, The
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Border Lord
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Sabre and the Rose, The
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Broken Freedom Song
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Jesus Was a Capricorn (Owed to John Prine)
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] Shandy (The Perfect Disguise)
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Sugar Man
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Last Time, The
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Nobody Wins
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] I'd Rather Be Sorry
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Highwayman
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Don't Cuss the Fiddle
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Bigger the Fool, The Harder the Fall, The
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Stranger
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] If You Don't Like Hank Williams
- [ Disc 02 Track 15 ] Here Comes That Rainbow Again
- [ Disc 02 Track 16 ] Once More With Feeling
- [ Disc 02 Track 17 ] How Do You Feel About Foolin' Around
- [ Disc 02 Track 18 ] Why Me
- [ Disc 02 Track 19 ] Please Don't Tell Me How the Story Ends
Personnel includes: Kris Kristofferson (vocals, guitar); Steve Burton, Fred Carter Jr., Johnny Christopher, James Colvard, Ray Edenton, Chris Gantry, Mac Gayden, Steve Gibson, Jerry Kennedy, Mark Knopfler, Dennis Linde, Grady Martin, Jerry McGee, Wayne Moss, Jerry Shook, Billy Swan, Fred Tackett, John "Bucky" Wilkin, Chip Youn (guitar); Peter Drake, Paul Franklin, Weldon Myrick (steel guitar); David Briggs, Glen Clark (keboards); Dennis Belfield (bass); Kenny Buttrey (drums); Bobbye Hall (percussion).
Producers includes: Fred Foster, David Anderle, Nancy Carlen, Dennis Linde, Norbert Putam.
Compilation producer: Gregg Geller.
Recorded between 1969 & 1985. Includes liner notes by Jim Bessman.
Personnel: Kris Kristofferson (guitar, background vocals); Jerry McGee (guitar, dobro, mandolin, sitar, background vocals); Fred Tackett (guitar, mandolin); Mark Knopfler, Stephen Bruton, Billy Swan (guitar, background vocals); Chip Young, Chris Gantry, Dennis Linde, Fred Carter, Jr., Grady Martin, John "Bucky" Wilkin, Jim Colvard, Jerry Kennedy, John Willis, Johnny Christopher, Mac Gayden, Ray Edenton, Wayne Moss, Steve Gibson , Jerry Shook (guitar); Paul Franklin , Pete Drake, Weldon Myrick (steel guitar); Josh Graves, Norman Blake (dobro); Norman Bruton (mandolin); Tommy Jackson, Buddy Spicher (fiddle); Charlie McCoy (harmonica, horns); Nick DeCaro (accordion); Don Sheffield, Chuck Findley, Dick Hyde, Darrell Leonard, Dwight Smith, Earl Lon Price, Harrison Calloway, Jackie Kelso, Jim Horn, Harvey Thompson, Ronnie Eades (horns); Donnie Fritts, Mike Utley (keyboards, background vocals); Glen Clark, David Briggs , Jim Cox, John Harris , Shane Keister, Bobby Emmons, Bobby Wood (keyboards); Gene Chrisman, Kenny Buttrey, Andy Newmark, Sammy Creason, Jerry Carrigan (drums); Farrell Morris, Bobbye Hall (percussion); Clydie King, June Page, Sherlie Matthews, D. Bergen White, Donna Rhodes, Terry Dearmore, Don Gant, Jack Skinner, James Cason, Herb Pedersen, Randy Cutlers, Allan Wald, Benny Whitehead, Gary Busey, Sandra Chalmers, John Beland, Larry Gatlin, Larry Murray, Alan Rush, Mentor Williams, Mickey Newbury, Ray C. Walker, Rita Coolidge, Sammi Smith, Terry Paul, Venetta Fields, Gordon Stoker, Hoyt Hawkins, Millie Kirkham, Buzz Cason, Byron Berline, Charles Chalmers (background vocals).
Recording information: 1969-1983.
Photographers: Jim Marshall ; David Gahr.
Drunkards, free spirits, wayward travelers, and lady-killers populate the songs of Kris Kristofferson, who was a wandering soul himself before becoming a professional musician. Always one to appeal to country and rock fans alike, Kristofferson is a songwriter's songwriter, as illustrated by this double-disc collection. The first disc is primarily comprised of nine tracks from his landmark 1970 debut, KRISTOFFERSON, and seven cuts from 1971's equally strong THE SILVER TONGUED DEVIL AND I. These include "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down," "Help Me Make It Through the Night," and "For the Good Times"--all hits for other artists, though Kristofferson's weathered, raspy versions feel definitive.
Disc two culls tracks from more varied sources, though a mere five of 19 go beyond 1979. It opens with 1972?s narcotic "Border Lord," and continues through four tracks from 1972's JESUS WAS A CAPRICORN (including "I'd Rather Be Sorry," a duet with his then-wife, Rita Coolidge), "How Do You Feel About Foolin' Around" (with Willie Nelson, from the 1986 film SONGWRITER), and a 1985 cut from the country supergroup Highwaymen (with Nelson, Johnny Cash, and Waylon Jennings). A strong collection for the true fan, or a fantastic intro for the uninitiated, ESSENTIAL is a concise overview of this groundbreaking songwriter's work.
- Date Released
- 2004-02-01 00:00:00
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Kris Kristofferson
- Sony Music Distribution (
No reviews yet.