Kyle Shepherd - Dream State (CD)
Discovery Miles 1 490
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
Renowned and acclaimed South African pianist and composer (2014’s “Standard Bank Young Artist of the year” [SBYA]) - Kyle Shepherd – releases his new double CD album “Dream State”.
The album marks and celebrates the 5th anniversary of the existence of the Kyle Shepherd Trio, which features Kyle Shepherd on piano; Shane Cooper (2013 SBYA recipient (and also that year’s jazz SAMA award winner)) on double bass; with Jonno Sweetman on drums. The album also features pre-eminent SA saxophonist Buddy Wells on 5 tracks.
In this studio recording, the Trio, magnificently captures the fluidity, intensity and inventiveness of its live performances, that have entranced audiences across South Africa and also abroad. There is a natural synthesis and well-honed interplay that has evolved between Shepherd, Cooper and Sweetman over the years.
Renowned arts journalist, Percy Mabandu (succinctly described the ethos of the trio in this way:
“There's a palpable connectedness they share as players, a connection that also touches attuned audiences at their live performances too. This band is on a search for more than beautiful notes. They are asking more of the music. Its corporeal and ethereal aspects are invoked into the simultaneous sound ritual. Each performance takes on the nature of a meditation and as Zim Ngqawana said, ‘the music must lead us towards ourselves’. ”
‘Dream State’ which was recorded by Peter Auret at the “Sumo Sound Recording Studio,” mixed by Pål Svenre (Sweden) and mastered by Tim Lengfeld at TL Mastering - is the 27-year old pianist’s 4th Album. His previous critically acclaimed releases, ‘fineART’, ‘A Portrait of Home’ and ‘South African History !X’, have all garnered South African Music Award nominations.
Shepherd’s career nationally and internationally has grown tremendously since the release of his debut album in 2009 - with notable concert appearances, as well as international album releases (notably in Germany and Japan). Shepherd is versatile, and performs either as a solo pianist, as a trio or quartet, as well as in other formats. Using this variety Kyle Shepherd has featured at (amongst others) the following impressive venues and festivals:
Théâtre des Bouffes du Nord and L’Onde Théâtre et Centre d’art as part of the Festival d’Automne à Paris (France). The Bird’s Eye Jazz Club (Switzerland), Jazzwerkstatt Festival Bern (Switzerland), Reformierte Dorfkirche Kleinhüningen (Switzerland), Klubschule St. Gallen (Switzerland). Der Sendesaal, (Germany), Hallenbad Kultur Am Schactweg, (Germany), Body & Soul Jazz Club (Japan),
- South Africa
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] City Monk, Desert Monk
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Family Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Re-Invention / Johannesburg
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Dream State
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Xamissa
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Flying Without Leaving The Ground
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Transcendence
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Our House, Our Rules
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] The Seeker
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Siquagamshelane Sonke
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Cape Flats
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Black Star, Unsung Hero
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Xahuri
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Rituals
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] The Painter
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Doekom
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Fatherless
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Senegal
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Rock Art
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] The Sun At Dusk
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Ahimsa
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Date Released
- Video Disabled
- Number of Items
Chris, South Africa. 1 June 2016
Bought the CD after seeing their performance at the Stellenbosch Konservatorium. I've been listening to it for a week now. Really good.