Live at the Old Waldorf - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 980
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Regional Collections
- Mono / Stereo
- Norman Dayron
- Live at the Old Waldorf
Personnel includes: Mike Bloomfield (guitar); Nick Gravenites (vocals, guitar); Roger "Jelly Roll" Troy (vocals, electric bass); Bob Jones (vocals, drums); Mark Adams (harmonica); Mark Naftalin (piano); Barry Goldberg (organ); George Rains (drums).
Recorded at the Old Waldorf, San Francisco, California between December 1976 and May 1977 & The Record Plant, Sausalito, California on November 10, 1974. Includes liner notes by Norman Dayron.
If you've never really experienced Mike Bloomfield just letting loose and playing ripping and inspired guitar, this is a darn good starting point. Recorded live in 1976 and 1977 by producer Norman Dayron at the Old Waldorf nightclub on Bloomfield's home turf in San Francisco with a hand-picked band, the results are startling to say the least. Bloomfield plays with assurance and authority throughout, exploring new ideas with each new chorus from his guitar, arguably at his best since his early Butterfield/Dylan days. He plays a lot of slide guitar here, too, and tracks like "Bad Luck Baby," "The Sky Is Crying," "Dancin' Fool," and "Buried Alive in the Blues" showcase his mighty talents with the bottleneck, taking the lessons learned firsthand from Robert Nighthawk to places new and wild. Bloomfield was never much of a singer, and everybody from old pal Nick Gravenites to bassist Roger Troy to drummer Bob Jones ends up handling all the vocals on this disc. But one listen to the "Blues Medley" that kicks off the proceedings is reason enough to know why Bloomfield's reputation on his chosen instrument ranks up there with the greats. Consider this disc validation of that rep. ~ Cub Koda
- Country of Origin
- Columbia (USA)
- Sony Music Distribution (
- Michael Bloomfield
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Blues Medley: Sweet Little Angel / Jelly Jelly
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Feel So Bad
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Bad Luck Baby
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Sky Is Cryin', The
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Dancin' Fool
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Buried Alive in the Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Farther on up the Road
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Your Friends
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Bye Bye
- Studio / Live
- Living Blues (5-6/99, p.100) - "...Bloomfield lets his guitar rip through a solid set of blues, including...a surprising amount of slide guitar magic..."
- Video Disabled
- Norman Dayron
No reviews yet.