Lost Tapes - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 870
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Chicago Blues
- Mono / Stereo
- Link Wyler; Richard Chalk; Russ Ragsdale
- The Lost Tapes
THE LOST TAPES is an Enhanced audio CD which contains regular audio tracks and multimedia computer files.
Personnel: Muddy Waters (vocals, slide guitar); Sammy Lawhorn, Pee Wee Madison (guitar); George "Harmonica" Smith (harmonica); Pinetop Perkins (piano); Calvin "Fuzz" Jones (bass); Willie "Big Eyes" Smith (drums).
Recorded live in 1971. Includes liner notes by Tim Schuller.
Digitally remastered by Ed Johnson and Steve Curry.
Personnel: Muddy Waters (vocals, slide guitar); James "Pee Wee" Madison, Sammy Lawhorn (guitar); George "Harmonica" Smith (harmonica); Pinetop Perkins (piano); Willie "Big Eyes" Smith (drums).
Audio Mixer: Russ Ragsdale.
Liner Note Author: Tim Schuller.
Recording information: On Video, Dallas, TX (1971); Oregon University (1971); Washington University (1971).
Photographer: D. Shigley.
In the late '60s and early '70s, Muddy's label was more concerned with attempting to make him "hip" than with remaining true to the blues legend's roots. Consequently, attempts to modernize his sound resulted in a strange dichotomy between the live Muddy and the studio Muddy. In concert, he was still tearing it up in the grand old style, as on this previously unreleased concert recording from 1971.
Muddy had not yet begun to bring the younger generation into his band, so bona fide Chicago blues vets like pianist Pinetop Perkins and drummer Willie "Big Eyes" Smith are on hand to provide that classic '50s Chess sound on a program of gems from Muddy's glory days. The old master wasn't getting any younger, so the urgency and fire of his earlier recordings is replaced here by a more seasoned, understated approach. Instead of detracting from the performances, though, this new wrinkle adds a deeper level of ominous insinuation to Muddy's sultry tales of lust.
- Country of Origin
- Blind Pig
- Studio / Live
- Muddy Waters
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Honey Bee
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] (I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Walkin' Thru the Park
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Trouble No More
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Just to Be with You
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Muddy's Introduction to "19 Years Old"
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] She's Nineteen Years Old
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Long Distance Call
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Mannish Boy
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Crawling King Snake
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Got My Mojo Working
- Ryko Distribution
- CMJ (7/19/99, p.27) - "...[Waters'] charisma and onstage magnetism actually grew in direct proportion to his increasing age, experience and legendary status....there's no denying the power of these live recordings....this archival release is an unimaginably vital document."
- 103m 44s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.