Louis Armstrong Plays Wc Hand - (Import CD)
Louis and Armstrong
Discovery Miles 1 250
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Jazz Instrument
- Mono / Stereo
- Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy [Remaster]
Personnel: Louis Armstrong (vocals, trumpet); Velma Middleton (vocals); Trummy Young (trombone); Barney Bigard (clarinet); Billy Kyle (piano); Arvell Shaw (bass); Barrett Deems (drums).
Compilation producer: George Avakian.
Recorded on July 12-14, 1954 & October 19, 1956. Includes liner notes by George Avakian.
This wonderful and historically monumental recording pairs the master of jazz trumpet and jazz singing with "the father of the blues." In the early years of the 20th century, composer W.C. Handy authored many blues numbers, some of which have gone on not only to become enduring standards in the genre, but also to influence a vast repertoire of popular music.
Armstrong, who achieved some of his earliest successes with treatments of Handy favorites, is in superior form on this recording. Perhaps due to Handy's presence at the sessions (the booklet is full of wonderful photos of the two), Satch seems even more focused and full of enthusiasm than usual. With excellent support from a band that includes Trummy Young (trombone), Barney Bigard (clarinet), and Velma Middleton (vocals), Armstrong and Co. interpret such Handy favorites as "The Memphis Blues," "Beale Street Blues," and the immortal "St. Louis Blues." The CD appends five previously unreleased tracks and an interview with Handy, making this set immeasurably worthwhile, in terms of both historic importance and entertainment value.
- Country of Origin
- Sony Music Distribution (
- Louis Armstrong & His All-Stars
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] St. Louis Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Yellow Dog Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Loveless Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Aunt Hagar's Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Long Gone (From the Bowlin' Green)
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Memphis Blues, The (Or Mister Crump)
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Beale Street Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Ole Miss Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Chantez-les Bas (Sing 'Em Low)
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Hesitating Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Atlanta Blues (Make Me One Pallet on Your Floor)
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] George Avakian's Interview With W.C Handy - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Loveless Love - (previously unreleased, rehearsal sequence)
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Hesitating Blues - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Alligator Story - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Long Gone (From the Bowlin' Green) - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- Studio / Live
- JazzTimes (8/97, p.79) - "...there are three previously unissued rehearsal sequences, his interview with Handy, and Armstrong telling his famous alligator joke. What makes this a genuine classic is the playing and singing of the leader, who clearly had a great affection for Handy's compositions..."
- Video Disabled
- Mason Coppinger
No reviews yet.