Love Songs - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 980
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Stax/Southern Soul
- Mono / Stereo
- Love Songs [Sony]
Personnel includes: Aretha Franklin (vocals, piano); Robert Mersey (arranger).
Producers: Robert Mersey, Clyde Otis.
Compilation producer: Leo Sacks.
Recorded between April 27, 1962 and February 10, 1965. Originally released on Columbia Records. Includes liner notes by David Ritz.
Digitally remastered by Mark Wilder (2000, Sony).
Prior to becoming the Queen Of Soul, former gospel prodigy Aretha Franklin made her first foray into secular music in the early '60s, under the auspices of MOR kingpin and Columbia Records head Mitch Miller. LOVE SONGS features material from this era but by virtue of her amazing talents, she emerges sounding more like Dinah Washington than Patti Page.
Accompanying herself on piano, the then- 20 year-old tackles lushly orchestrated numbers normally associated with Washington ("What a Difference a Day Makes"), Billie Holiday ("But Beautiful"), and Frank Sinatra ("Only the Lonely"). Aretha even manages to inject some grit into the bluesy "Muddy Water" and "Trouble in Mind," cutting loose against a background of Wes Montgomery-flavored guitar and a swinging rhythm section. Despite Miller's best efforts to sanitize Aretha's sound, LOVE SONGS comes off as a hip collection, tailor-made for cocktails and slow dancing.
- Country of Origin
- Sony Music Distribution (USA)
- Sony Music Distribution (
- Aretha Franklin
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] I Wonder (Where Are You Tonight)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Skylark
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Laughing On The Outside (Crying On The Inside)
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Without The One You Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] This Bitter Earth
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Just For A Thrill
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Try A Little Tenderness
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] I Wish I Didn't Love You So
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] But Beautiful
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] What A Diff'erence A Day Made
- Studio / Live
- Living Blues (9-10/01, p.80) - "...Shows that the Queen of Soul imbued torch standards with her own righteous uplift long before she conquered the universe..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.