Michael Murphey Martin - Ultimate Collection (CD)
Michael Mar Murphey
Discovery Miles 1 590
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Country Rock
- Number of Discs
- Number of Items
- Ultimate Collection
- Country of Origin
- Universal Distribution
- Mono / Stereo
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] I Feel Good (I Feel Bad)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Geronimo's Cadillac
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Natchez Trail
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Calico Silver
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Harbor for My Soul
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Boy from the Country
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] What Am I Doing Hangin' Around?
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Backsliders Wine
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Drunken Lady of the Morning
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Cosmic Cowboy, Pt. 1
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Wildfire
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Carolina in the Pines
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Cherokee Fiddle
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Swans Against the Sun
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Renegade
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] What's Forever For?
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Still Taking Chances
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Will It Be Love by Morning?
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Long Line of Love, A
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] From the Word Go
- [ Disc 01 Track 21 ] I'm Gonna Miss You, Girl
- South Africa
Producers include: Jack Keller, Bob Johnston, Jim Ed Norman, Steve Gibson.
Compilation producer: Mike Ragogna.
Recorded between 1967 and 1987. Includes liner notes by Robyn Flans.
Digitally remastered by Doug Schwartz (Audio Mechanics, Hollywood, California).
Liner Note Author: Robyn Flans.
Michael Martin Murphey presents great challenges to anyone trying to construct a one-disc compilation of his work. For one thing, he has recorded for several record companies, all of which have catalogs now controlled by different major labels: A&M (Universal) 1972-1973; Epic (Sony), 1973-1981; Liberty (EMI), 1982-1983; and Warner Bros. (Warner) (1986-1997). (He has recorded independently since 1998.) For another, he has had at least three different careers, one in the 1970s as a pop singer/songwriter, another in the 1980s as a country singer, and a third as a Western artist. The least likely label to assemble a compilation would seem to be Universal, which possesses only two of his albums. But Hip-O, Universal's reissue arm, is nothing if not ambitious, and so we have this Ultimate Collection. You've got to admit that they've made an effort. No less than 12 of the 79-minute disc's 21 tracks have been licensed from other labels, including the major pop hit "Wildfire" and the number one country hits "What's Forever For?" and "A Long Line of Love." They've even dug up "I Feel Good (I Feel Bad)," the 1967 chart single by Murphey's early group, the Lewis & Clark Expedition. That said, the disc will not entirely satisfy any of Murphey's constituencies. Necessarily, there is a focus on his early solo work, with seven tracks drawn from A&M's Geronimo's Cadillac, while the rest of his career is presented very selectively. Only five tracks cover the Epic years, Murphey's peak as a singer/songwriter, and his period as a mouthpiece for Nashville songwriters is represented by only his biggest country hits. But as of the appearance of this set, neither Epic nor Warner Bros. had bothered to issue a Murphey best-of, which makes this miscast but well-intended effort by far the best Murphey collection ever released. ~ William Ruhlmann
- Date Released
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Michael Martin Murphey
- 79m 18s
No reviews yet.