Mobley Hank - No Room For Squares - Remastered (CD)
Discovery Miles 1 950
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Jazz Instrument
- Tenor Sax
- Number of Discs
- Number of Items
- No Room for Squares [Remaster]
- Country of Origin
- Blue Note
- EMI Music Distribution
- Mono / Stereo
- Q (3/01, p.120) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...Crucial listening....combining two 1963 sessions....The paunchy-but-polished Blue Note sound prevails...and Mobley's long, impeccable solo on the opening 'Three Way Split' remains a career highlight."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] No Room For Squares
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] No Room For Squares (alternate Take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Three Way Split
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Comin' Back
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Me 'n You
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Carolyn (alternate Take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Carolyn
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Syrup And Biscuits
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Three Way Split
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Carolyn
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Up a Step - (bonus track)
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] No Room for Squares
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Me 'N You
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Old World Imports - (bonus track)
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Carolyn (Alternate Take) - (alternate take, bonus track)
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] No Room for Squares - (alternate take, bonus track)
- Release Date
- 30 October 2000
- South Africa
The Rudy Van Gelder Edition of NO ROOM FOR SQUARES contains two tracks, "Up A Step" and "Old World, New Imports" that were recorded at an earlier session but appeared on the original LP. The tracks "Syrup And Biscuits" and "Comin' Back" that appeared on the first CD release of this album are omitted from this edition.
Personnel: Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone); Lee Morgan, Donald Byrd (trumpet); Andrew Hill, Herbie Hancock (piano); John Ore, Butch Warren (bass); Philly Joe Jones (drums).
Producer: Alfred Lion.
Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.
Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on March 7 and October 2, 1963. Originally released on Blue Note (4149). Includes liner notes by Joe Goldberg and Bob Blumenthal.
Digitally remastered using 24-bit technology by Rudy Van Gelder (2000, Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey).
This is part of the Blue Note Rudy Van Gelder Editions series.
Personnel: Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone); Donald Byrd, Lee Morgan (trumpet); Herbie Hancock, Andrew Hill (piano); Jo Jones , Philly Joe Jones (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Rudy Van Gelder.
Liner Note Authors: Joe Goldberg; Bob Blumenthal.
Recording information: New York, NY (03/07/1963/10/02/1963); Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (03/07/1963/10/02/1963); Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (03/07/1963/10/02/1963).
NO ROOM FOR SQUARES is one of the more inventive titles in the Blue Note catalog. This is certainly an apt description for a session that includes the very hip Mobley and accompaniment from the swinging Lee Morgan, creative piano master Andrew Hill, sturdy bassist John Ore, and the powerful Philly Joe Jones on drums. Mobley's confident tenor wail is in full force here, as he and Morgan blow through the all-original program with strong support from the daring rhythm section. SQUARES is among Mobley's most raucous sessions. This is evident on energized tracks like the opening title track and the Latin-tinged "Three Way Split." Also featured is Morgan's lush ballad "Carolyn." In all, this is another stunning hard bop classic.
- Date Released
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Hank Mobley
- 51m 38s
- Rudy VanGelder
No reviews yet.