Muddy Waters - At Newport 1960 (CD)
Discovery Miles 850
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Chicago Blues
- Number of Items
- At Newport 1960
- Country of Origin
- USA / Canada
- Universal Distribution
- Mono / Stereo
- Vibe (12/99, p.160) - Included in Vibe's 100 Essential Albums of the 20th Century
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] I Got My Brand on You
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Baby Please Don't Go
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Soon Forgotten
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Tiger in Your Tank
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] I Feel So Good
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I've Got My Mojo Working
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] I've Got My Mojo Working, Part 2
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Goodbye Newport Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] I Got My Brand on You - (bonus track)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Soon Forgotten - (bonus track)
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Tiger in Your Tank - (bonus track)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Meanest Woman - (bonus track)
- Release Date
- 9 June 2007
This reissue contains 4 mono bonus studio tracks.
Personnel includes: Muddy Waters (vocals, guitar); Langston Hughes (spoken vocals); Pat Hare (guitar); James Cotton (harmonica); Otis Span (piano, background vocals); Andrew Stevenson (bass); Francis Clay (drums).
Recorded live at Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, Rhode Island on July 3, 1960 and Chicago, Illinois in June 1960.
Includes liner notes by Mary Katherine Aldin and Jack Tracy.
Digitally remastered by Erick Labson (Universal Mastering).
The old cover photograph of Muddy clutching John Lee Hooker's guitar gave the impression that he was at a Folk Festival rather than the prestigious Newport Jazz Festival. However, the record revealed the King of Chicago blues at his very best, shouting his music above the discordant wail of a band that included Otis Spann, James Cotton, Pat Hare and Francis Clay. Film of the event shows a sharply dressed Muddy shimmying and jiving around the stage with the energy of a man half his age. Some of that atmosphere is apparent on the record, in a program that includes 'Hoochie Coochie Man', Big Bill Broonzy's 'I Feel So Good', recent singles 'I Got My Brand On You' and 'Soon Forgotten', and a massive 'Got My Mojo Working'. The set ends in poignant mood with the announcement of the end of the Festival and Otis Spann's improvised 'Goodbye Newport Blues'.
- Date Released
- 1999-01-01 00:00:00
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Muddy Waters
- Andy McKaie (Reissue)
- 44m 34s
No reviews yet.