Nilsson Schmilsson - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 450
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Mono / Stereo
- Richard Perry; Richard Perry; Curtis Armstron (Reissue); Glenn Korman (Reissue); Rob Santos (Reissue)
- Nilsson Schmilsson [US Bonus Tracks] [Remaster]
Originally released on RCA (4515).
Personnel: Harry Nilsson (vocals, harmonica, piano, electric piano, organ, Mellotron); Harry Nilsson; Klaus Voormann (guitar, acoustic guitar, bass instrument); George Tipton, Paul Buckmaster (strings); Richard Perry (Mellotron, drums, percussion); Herbie Flowers (bass instrument); John Uribe (guitar, acoustic guitar); Chris Spedding, Caleb Quaye (guitar); Ian Duck (acoustic guitar); Henry Krein (accordion); Bobby Keys (saxophone); Jim Price (trumpet, trombone); Gary Wright (piano, organ); Jimmy Webb (piano); Roger Coolen (organ); Jim Gordon (drums, percussion); Jim Keltner, Roger Pope (drums).
Liner Note Author: Curtis Armstron.
Recording information: Island Studios, London, England (03/01/1968-06/13/1971); RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA (03/01/1968-06/13/1971); Trident Studios, London, England (03/01/1968-06/13/1971).
Photographer: Dean Torrence.
Unknown Contributor Role: Harry Anger.
Arrangers: Jim Price; George Tipton.
Produced by Barbara Streisand's producer Richard Perry, 1971's NILSSON SCHMILSSON retains all of Harry Nilsson's wonderful songwriting and warm singing, but presents them in a decidedly rock-based setting. Nilsson's decision to combine his quirky, tongue-in-cheek Tin Pan Alley aesthetic with rock arrangements proved to be a successful one, and contributions from a stellar cast of British and American studio regulars didn't hurt either. The result was the artist's most focused, consistent, and accessible album. It also heralded Nilsson's commercial breakthrough.
From the opening notes of "Gotta Get Up," Nilsson is in complete control, fronting the proceedings with grace and ease. The album yielded a number of hits: "Coconut" (as in "put the lime in the coconut") and "Jump Into the Fire" were two, but his highest chart placement came with a song he didn't write, "Without You," a song penned by the English band Badfinger. (Those familiar with "Without You" but unfamiliar with Nilsson's other material may be surprised by what they find here). Witty and idiosyncratic, yet always defined by a consummate pop craftsmanship, NILSSON/SCHMILSSON is immensely pleasurable, and remains one of the artist's best recordings.
- Country of Origin
- BMG (distributor)
- Harry Nilsson
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Gotta Get Up
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Driving Along
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Early in the Morning
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Moonbeam Song, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Down
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Without You
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Coconut
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Let the Good Times Roll
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Jump into the Fire
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] I'll Never Leave You
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Si No Estas Tu (Without You) - (Spanish, Spanish version of "Without You")
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] How Can I Be Sure of You
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Moonbeam Song, The - (demo version)
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Lamaze - (French)
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Old Forgotten Soldier - (demo version)
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Gotta Get Up - (demo version)
- Studio / Live
Rolling Stone (2/17/72, p.48) - "...the cutting edge of NILSSON SCHMILSSON is still Harry's singing. One gets the feeling that he could make something significant out of even the most banal or lackluster songs..."
Mojo (Publisher) (9/00, p.88) - "...His most successful album....sporadically excellent....represents a creative flowering that extended to several unissued classics..."
NME (Magazine) (9/23/00, p.35) - 6 out of 10 - "...[The album] spawned a massive hit with his cover of Badfinger's 'Without You'...as well as a clutch of decent rockers, even if it's a tad too zany."
- Video Disabled
- Robin Geoffrey Cable; Phil Brown; Dennis Smith; Robin Geoffrey; Richie Schmitt; Robin Geoffrey Cable
No reviews yet.