On Fire - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 050
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Jazz Instrument
- Mono / Stereo
- On Fire
Pianist Michel Camilo's sophomore release for Epic records is the aptly titled ON FIRE. This brisk set of mostly Camilo originals sheds a good deal of light on the unique musical spirit of this dynamic artist. Showcasing his bristling enthusiasm, relentless chops and highly-developed musical intuition, Camilo masterfully commands a host of contemporary heavyweights including Dave Weckl and Marvin "Smitty" Smith (drums), Marc Johnson and Michael Bowie (bass) and percussion master Sammy Figueroa.
The Caribbean funk of "Island Stomp" opens the set with a smile that shines through Camilo's rhythmic keyboard work. Likewise, the intricate Latin rhythms and modern swing of "Uptown Manhattan" attest to the pianist's connection to the New York music scene. As with most Camilo discs an installment of the continuing "Suite Sandrine" is included in the form of the delicate "Friends (Interlude II)." The most unique track, however, comes with "Hands & Feet," a delightful duet between Camilo's nimble hands and the furious feet of flamenco dancer Raul. Finally, a swinging reading of the standard "Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise" is a mellow change of pace before the monstrous, true-to-its-name title track which closes out the set.
- Country of Origin
- Epic (USA)
- Sony Music Distribution (
- Michel Camilo
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Island Stomp
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] If You Knew...
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Uptown Manhattan
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Friends: Interlude II / Suite Sandrine
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Hands & Feet
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] This Way Out
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] In Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] And Sammy Walked In
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] On Fire
- Studio / Live
- Down Beat - 4 Stars - Excellent
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.