Only the Lonely - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 310
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Pop Vocal
- Classic Pop Vocals
- Mono / Stereo
- Voyle Gilmore
- Only the Lonely [Remaster]
Personnel includes: Frank Sinatra (vocals); Nelson Riddle (conductor).
Recorded from May to September 1958. Includes original liner notes by Sammy Cahn and James Van Heusen with additional notes by Pete Welding.
All tracks have been digitally remastered using 20-bit technology.
For an artist of Sinatra's stature, an artistic peak is a thing of no uncertain majesty. Such a peak was reached on ONLY THE LONELY, with the invaluable assistant of arranger Nelson Riddle. Foreshadowed by the glorious sob-fest of IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS, this album is a case of serendipity, where songs, arrangement and performance all combine for an unrelenting dose of heartbreak.
The ominous, film-noirish flatted-fifths of "Angel Eyes" set the scene for a cuckold's tale, which ends with Sinatra's evanescently graceful bow-out, "'Scuse me while I disappear." The timeless "One For My Baby," one of the songs most closely identified with Sinatra, finds him pouring his troubles out to a bartender, who simultaneously pours out the much-needed antidote to the singer's pain. ONLY THE LONELY is a devastating, perfectly rendered account of a man unable to escape the cage of his own shattered dreams .
- Country of Origin
- EMI-Capitol Entertainment Prop.
- Studio / Live
- Frank Sinatra
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Only the Lonely
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Angel Eyes
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] What's New?
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] It's a Lonesome Old Town
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Willow Weep For Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Good-Bye
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Blues in the Night
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Ebb Tide
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Spring Is Here
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Gone With the Wind
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] One For My Baby
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Sleep Warm
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Where or When - (previously unreleased)
- EMI Music Distribution
- Magnet (p.114) - "Its ballads are some of the most exquisitely rendered odes to sadness he recorded, with Nelson Riddle's lush orchestral backdrops serving as reverb-heavy guardrails for Sinatro's bel canto encomiums..."
- 59m 0s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.