Platters - Millennium Collection - Best Of The Platters (CD)
Discovery Miles 850
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Number of Discs
- Number of Items
- 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of The Platters
- Country of Origin
- Universal Distribution
- Mono / Stereo
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Great Pretender, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Twilight Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Only You (And You Alone)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] My Prayer
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] (You've Got) The Magic Touch
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] You'll Never, Never Know
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] I'll Never Smile Again
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Harbor Lights
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Red Sails in the Sunset
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Enchanted
- R&B / Soul
- South Africa
Recorded between 1955 and 1959. Includes liner notes by Ruth Adkins Robinson.
Digitally remastered by Suha Gur.
This is part of MCA's 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection series.
Recording information: 1955-1959.
Like any record company worth their salt, MCA knows a good gimmick when they see it, and when the millennium came around, the 20th Century Masters -- The Millennium Collection wasn't too far behind. Supposedly, the millennium is a momentous occasion, but it's hard to feel that way when it's used as another excuse to turn out a budget-line series. But apart from the presumptuous title, 20th Century Masters -- The Millennium Collection turns out to be a very good budget-line series. True, it's impossible for any of these brief collections to be definitive, but they're nevertheless solid samplers that don't feature a bad song in the bunch. For example, take the Platters' 20th Century volume -- it's an irresistible, budget-priced summary of their prime recordings. There may be a couple of noteworthy songs missing, but many of their best-known songs are here, including "The Great Pretender" and "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes." Serious fans will want something more extensive, but this is an excellent introduction for neophytes and a great sampler for casual fans, considering its length and price. That doesn't erase the ridiculousness of the series title, but the silliness is excusable when the music and the collections are good. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
- Date Released
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- The Platters
- Harry Weinger (Compilation)
- 29m 44s
No reviews yet.