Politi, Matilde - Folk Songs From Sicily (CD)
Discovery Miles 2 390
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Number of Items
- Media Type
- Folk Songs From Sicily
- Country of Origin
- Arc Music
- Mono / Stereo
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] None
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] None
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Amuninni
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Cumari
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Figghiu Miu
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Cascia
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Aria di Spartenza
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Ringo
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Acula Riali
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Santaninfara
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Marzapaneddu
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Acqua Chi Curri
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Matri Terra
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Semu Ancili
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Ruciaruci
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Usticana
- Traditional/world Music
- Release Date
- 1 March 2010
- South Africa
Lyricist: Valeria Cimo.
Personnel: Matilde Politi (vocals, guitar, accordion, concertina, bendir, castanets, bells); Matilde Politi (vocals, guitar, accordion, concertina, frame drum, bendir, castanets, bells); Simona Di Gregorio (vocals, concertina, organetto); Dimitri Voutsinas (vocals); Gabriele Politi, Gabriele Politi (oud, violin, viola); Simona Di Gregorio (concertina, organetto, frame drum); Lelio Giannetto, Lelio Giannetto (double bass); Lajos Zsivkov (darabukka, djembe, bells); Lajos Zsivkov (djembe, bells).
Audio Mixer: Maurizio Curcio.
Liner Note Authors: Matilde Politi; Diz Heller; Matilde Politi.
Recording information: Blue Studio, Monreale, Palermo, Sicily (2008).
Translators: Diz Heller; Jeannine Blanpain; Ute Entwistle.
Arranger: Matilde Politi.
Singer and multi-instrumentalist Politi has spent almost a lifetime investigating the music of her native Sicily. The results, both traditional and original compositions, are here, all very raw and percussive. While some seem basic, others have a more contemporary, jazzy touch. But throughout there's a sense of rootedness that typifies all regional material, in this case very Mediterranean, which means some Arabic influences underpinning rhythms and melodies. She's a powerful vocalist, but one also capable of subtlety -- just listen to the inflections on "Rucairuci," for instance. Her small band produces a large sound, but also knows when to hold back (credit Politi for the arrangements). What's especially interesting is that the new material sits very easily alongside the traditional songs, which often sound surprisingly modern (witness "Ringo," which is not about the Beatle). This style has passed out of fashion, as is the case with so much folk music, and resurrecting gives us a vital link to the past.
- Date Released
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Matilde Politi
- Arcimiccica; Matilde Politi; Matilde Politi; Arcimiccica; Matilde Politi
No reviews yet.