Quick One - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 620
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- British Invasion
- Mono / Stereo
- Quick One (Happy Jack) [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster]
The Who: Pete Townshend (vocals, guitar, cello, penny whistle); John Entwistle (vocals, trumpet, bass); Roger Daltrey (vocals, trombone); Keith Moon (drums).
Producer: Kit Lambert.
Reissue producer: Jon Astley.
Principally recorded at IBC Studios, Pye Studios and Regent Sound, London, England in 1966. Tracks 1-10 originally released in the U.K. in 1966 as A QUICK ONE on Reaction (593002). Tracks 11-14 originally released in the U.K. in 1966 on the EP READY STEADY WHO! on Reaction (592001). Includes liner notes by Chris Stamp, the original release liner notes from READY STEADY WHO! by Francis Hitching and the original release liner notes from the U.S. album HAPPY JACK by Nick Jones.
This 1995 reissue of A QUICK ONE includes the original British album along with four songs from the EP READY STEADY WHO!, three B-sides ("Doctor, Doctor," "I've Been Away" and "In The City") and three previously unreleased tracks. A QUICK ONE was first released in the U.S. in 1967 under the title HAPPY JACK, with the single "Happy Jack" replacing the British album track "Heatwave."
Personnel: Pete Townshend (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Roger Daltrey (vocals, harmonica); John Entwistle (vocals, keyboards, bass guitar); Keith Moon (vocals, drums).
Audio Remasterers: Jon Astley; Andy MacPherson.
Audio Remixers: Jon Astley; Andy MacPherson.
Liner Note Author: Chris Stamp.
A pivotal album in the early career of The Who, A QUICK ONE is the bridge between the band's original incarnation as a hard rockin' mod pop group and its subsequent, more ambitious, experimental phase. The album is also notable because it's centerpiece, "A Quick One, While He's Away," represents Pete Townshend's first attempt at "rock opera," a form which he and The Who would later perfect on TOMMY and QUADROPHENIA. The ten-minute track contains all the elements of the trademark Who style--complex arrangements and vocal harmonies, alternating heavy electric and light acoustic passages and a preoccupation with issues of morality and sexuality.
Also interesting is the fact that A QUICK ONE includes, in addition to several Townshend masterpieces, one Roger Daltrey tune and two excellent songs each from both John Entwistle and Keith Moon. The Entwistle-penned tracks ("Whiskey Man" and "Boris the Spider") are among his best and introduced fans for the first time to the virtuoso bassist's dark, twisted sense of humor. Although prior to A QUICK ONE's release The Who had several hit singles, it was this album that put the music world on notice that Townshend and crew were far more than simply a high energy rock & roll band.
- Country of Origin
- MCA (USA)
- Universal Distribution
- The Who
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Run Run Run
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Boris the Spider
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] I Need You
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Whiskey Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Cobwebs and Strange
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Don't Look Away
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] See My Way
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] So Sad About Us
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Quick One, While He's Away, A
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Batman
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Bucket "T"
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Barbara Ann
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Disguises
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Doctor Doctor
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] I've Been Away
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] In the City
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Happy Jack - (previously unreleased, acoustic version)
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Man with Money - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] My Generation/Land of Hope and Glory: My Generation / Land Of Hope And Glory - (previously unreleased)
- Studio / Live
- Q (9/95, p.140) - 4 Stars - Excellent - "Following the good work done with the LIVE AT LEEDS reissue...with an excellent, acoustic 'Happy Jack,' and five others, bringing the whole affair to just under an hour..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.