Real Folk Blues/More Real Folk Blues - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 590
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Chicago Blues
- Mono / Stereo
- The Real Folk Blues/More Real Folk Blues
2 LPs on 1 CD: THER REAL FOLK BLUES (1966)/MORE REAL FOLK BLUES (1967).
Producers: Leonard & Phil Chess, Sam Phillips, Willie Dixon.
Compilation producer: Andy McKaie.
Recorded in Chicago, Illinois. Includes liner notes by Mary Katherine Aldin, Willie Dixon and Paul Williams.
Digitally remastered Erik Labson (Universal Mastering, West, North Hollywood, California).
Personnel: Howlin' Wolf (vocals, harmonica); Lee Cooper, Hubert Sumlin, Jody Williams, Otis Smokey Smothers, Willie Johnson, Buddy Guy (guitar); Eddie Shaw, J.T. Brown, Arnold Rogers (tenor saxophone); Donald Hankins (baritone saxophone); Henry Gray, Hosea Lee Kennard, Lafayette Leake, Otis Spann (piano); Earl Phillips, Fred Below, Junior Blackman, Sam Lay (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Paul Williams ; Mary Katherine Aldin; Willie Dixon.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (09/24/1953-10/??/1953); Memphis (09/24/1953-10/??/1953).
Howlin' Wolf is one of the most distinctive voices in blues. Born Chester Burnett in 1910, he began his recording career at the age of 41, having moved from Mississippi to West Memphis. A subsequent move to Chicago in the '50s launched his career in earnest via the Chess label. The two albums included on this CD were released in the mid-'60s and draw from recordings dating back to a decade earlier or more. The "folk blues" moniker is not altogether accurate, as these are blistering electric performances.
These two dozen cuts define what we now think of as Chicago blues (little of which ever hits these staggering heights). An incredible array of singers owe the roots of their identity to Howlin' Wolf (for example, though he jettisoned standard blues structures for Dadaist soundscapes, Captain Beefheart could not have developed his voice without the Wolf). Bigger than blues, this is simply essential music.
- Universal Distribution
- Howlin' Wolf
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Killing Floor
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Louise
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Poor Boy
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Sitting on Top of the World
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Nature
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] My Country Sugar Mama
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Tail Dragger
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Three Hundred Pounds of Joy
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Natchez Burning, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Built for Comfort
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Ooh Baby (Hold Me)
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Tell Me What I've Done
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Just My Kind
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] I've Got a Woman
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Work for Your Money
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] I'll Be Around
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] You Can't Be Beat
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] No Place to Go (You Gonna Wreck My Life)
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] I Love My Baby
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Neighbors
- [ Disc 01 Track 21 ] I'm the Wolf
- [ Disc 01 Track 22 ] Rockin' Daddy
- [ Disc 01 Track 23 ] Who Will Be Next
- [ Disc 01 Track 24 ] I Have a Little Girl
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.