Scott Hamilton - Ballad Essentials (CD)
Discovery Miles 1 440
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Jazz Instrument
- Tenor Sax
- Number of Discs
- Number of Items
- Ballad Essentials
- Country of Origin
- Universal Distribution
- Mono / Stereo
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] SKYLARK
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] EVERYTHING HAPPENS TO ME
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] MY FOOLISH HEART
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] THAT'S ALL
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] IN A SENTIMENTAL MOOD
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] I SHOULD CARE
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] BODY AND SOUL
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] ROUND MIDNIGHT
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] MY ROMANCE
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] STARDUST
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] I'LL BE AROUND
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] TONIGHT I SHALL SLEEP (WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE)
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Skylark
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Everything Happens to Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] My Foolish Heart
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] That's All
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] In a Sentimental Mood
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] I Should Care
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Body and Soul
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] 'Round Midnight
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] My Romance
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Stardust
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] I'll Be Around
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Tonight I Shall Sleep (With a Smile on My Face)
- South Africa
Personnel includes: Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Alan Broadbent (arranger, tenor saxophone); Spike Robinson, Ken Peplowski (tenor saxophone); John Bunch, Nat Pierce, Dave McKenna, Norman Simmons, Brian Lemon, Gerry Wiggins (piano); Chris Flory, Cal Collins, Howard Alden (guitar); Phil Flanigan, Monty Budwig, Bob Maize, Dave Stone, Dennis Irwin, Dave Green (bass); Chuck Riggs, Jake Hanna, Roy McCurdy, Jeff Hamilton, Allan Ganley, Connie Kay (drums).
Recorded between 1977 and 1995. Includes liner notes by Scott Yanow.
Personnel: Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Chris Flory, Howard Alden, Cal Collins (guitar); Ken Peplowski, Spike Robinson (tenor saxophone); Dave McKenna, Gerry Wiggins, John Bunch, Alan Broadbent, Nat Pierce, Norman Simmons, Brian Lemon (piano); Connie Kay, Jake Hanna, Jeff Hamilton , Allan Ganley, Roy McCurdy, Chuck Riggs (drums).
Liner Note Author: Scott Yanow.
Photographer: David Sinclair .
Arranger: Alan Broadbent.
Tenor saxophonist Scott Hamilton is something of a jazz anomaly. Young enough to be part of the generation of players influenced by John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, and Ornette Coleman, he draws his primary inspiration from an earlier generation of saxophonists. Don Byas, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins and, of course, Lester Young--the big-toned, warm, breathy tenor giants of the '30s and '40s--are the icons that fire Hamilton's approach. BALLAD ESSENTIALS is a superb cross-section of his work, recorded with various lineups for the Concord label between 1977 and 1995.
Unsurprisingly, the program is all standards, rendered with fabulous technique and delivered with genuine, unabashedly sentimental warmth. Hamilton's version of "Everything Happens To Me" could have melted the iceberg in TITANIC; his horn sings over a lush string section in an Alan Broadbent arrangement of "My Foolish Heart," and his transformation of Thelonious Monk's "Round Midnight" stands with any recorded version. Also featured are the great trad/swing pianists John Bunch and Dave McKenna, and fellow tenor Ken Peplowski. Innovative? Not exactly. Timeless swing/jazz ballads played with breathtaking beauty? Absolutely.
- Date Released
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Scott Hamilton
- Nick Phillips (Compilation)
- 58m 32s
No reviews yet.