Tokyo Tapes - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 590
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Hard Rock
- Mono / Stereo
- Dieter Dierks
- Tokyo Tapes [Hip-O)
Scorpions: Klaus Meine (vocals); Ulrich Roth, Rudolf Schenker (guitar); Francis Buchholz (bass); Herman Rarebell (drums).
Recorded live at Sun Plaza Hall, Tokyo, Japan on April 24 & 27, 1978.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Klaus Meine (vocals); Rudolf Schenker, Ulrich Roth (guitar); Herman Rarebell (drums).
Recording information: Sun-Plaza Hall, Tokyo, Japan (04/24/1978/04/27/1979); Sun-Plaza-Hall, Tokyo, Japan (04/24/1978/04/27/1979).
If you played in a hard rock band during the '70s, what were you likely to be doing circa 1978? Why, recording a live album, of course. Preferably a double vinyl set, and in Japan to boot. The Scorpions were no exception, and in fact, their Tokyo Tapes were captured only days after Cheap Trick's At Budokan in April 1978. Though hardly as inspired or successful, the Tokyo Tapes set still serves as an ideal greatest-hits collection of the Scorpions' first decade. This recording also showcases the spectacular playing (and occasionally, the dreadful singing) of guitarist Uli Jon Roth, who would soon leave the band for a misguided solo career, but displays some jaw-dropping technique here, most notably on the epic "We'll Burn the Sky." The rest of the band also puts in competent performances on such early standards as "In Trance," "Fly to the Rainbow," and "Speedy's Coming." The material on disc one is consistently strong, and though a number of pointless covers ("Houng Dog," "Long Tall Sally") and that most dreaded concert spectacle -- the drum solo -- break the flow on disc two, the band still closes strong with the crowd-pleasing Japanese folk song "Kojo No Tsuki" and frenetic versions of "Dark Lady" and "Robot Man." Ultimately, if you have any curiosity about the Scorpions' early material, Tokyo Tapes provides the perfect introduction. ~ Eduardo Rivadavia
- Country of Origin
- Universal Distribution
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] All Night Long
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Pictured Life
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Backstage Queen
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] In Trance
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] We'll Burn the Sky
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Suspender Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] In Search of the Peace of Mind
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Fly to the Rainbow
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] He's a Woman, She's a Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Speedy's Coming
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Top of the Bill
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Hound Dog
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Long Tall Sally
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Steamrock Fever
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Dark Lady
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Kojo No Tsuki
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Robot Man
- Studio / Live
- Q (12/01, p.163) - 3 stars out of 5 - "...Barracking pop-metal...the bonus of an arena full of Oriental teens, gawping guitarist Rudolph Schenker brutalizing his Flying V and singer Klaus Meine doing the 'beautiful folk song' 'Kojo No Tsuki' in Teutonically-cawed Japanese..."
- Video Disabled
- Tamotsu Yoshida
No reviews yet.