Two Steps from the Blues - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 850
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Texas/W. Coast Blues
- Mono / Stereo
- Andy McKaie (Reissue)
- Two Steps from the Blues
This reissue contains two bonus tracks from the original LP sessions.
Personnel includes: Bobby "Blue" Bland (vocals); Wayne Bennett, Clarence Holloman (guitar); Robert Skinner, L.A. Hill (tenor saxophone); Rayfield Devers (baritone saxophone); Joe Scott, Melvin Jackson (trumpet); Pluma Davis (trombone); Connie Mack Booker, Teddy Reynolds (piano); Hamp Simmons (bass); John "Jabo" Starks, Sonny Freeman (drums).
Recorded between March 12, 1956 and November 12, 1960. Includes liner notes by Bill Dahl and Dzondria Lalsac.
Digitally remastered by Erick Labson (Universal Mastering).
Personnel: Bobby "Blue" Bland (vocals); Wayne Bennett (guitar); Joe Scott (trumpet); Pluma Davis (trombone); Connie Mack Booker, Teddy Reynolds (piano); John Starks, Sonny Freeman (drums).
Recording information: Chicago, IL (03/12/1956-11/12/1960); Houston, TX (03/12/1956-11/12/1960).
If you are unfamiliar with Bobby Bland, TWO STEPS FROM THE BLUES is the place to start. The album marked a watershed of creative bursts and commercial recognition for the legendary blues singer. The foundation of TWO STEPS' blues was an uptown Texas blues sound, relying more on sophisticated arrangements, horns, and orchestras than gut-bucket Delta guitar heroics. Inside the lush grooves, Bland moved with restraint, crooning seductively, a tried-and-true ladies man. Which is not to say that Bland is all smooth grooves and sweet nothings. No, his gospel roots rise up like thunderclouds at precise moments, erupting to transform the album's ballads into rattling experiences. The undeniable power of Bland's squalls punctuates "Cry, Cry, Cry" and "I Pity the Fool." His trademark mixture of smoky crooning and strangled outbursts has helped place Bobby Bland alongside the best R&B singers of the century.
- Country of Origin
- Studio / Live
- MCA (USA)
- Bobby "Blue" Bland
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Two Steps From the Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Cry Cry Cry
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] I'm Not Ashamed
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Don't Cry No More
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Lead Me On
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] I Pity the Fool
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I've Just Got to Forget You
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Little Boy Blue
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] St. James Infirmary
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] I'll Take Care of You
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] I Don't Want No Woman
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] I've Been Wrong So Long
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] How Does a Cheatin' Woman Feel - (bonus track)
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Close to You - (bonus track)
- Universal Distribution
- Q (2/93, p.87) - "...the leanness of the instrumentation and the simple but clever arrangements deepen the pervasive air of plaintive, lonesome melancholy..."
- 29m 44s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.