U2 - Achtung Baby - Deluxe Version (CD)
List Price R 191
Discovery Miles 1 790
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Copy Control
- Number of Items
- Achtung Baby - Deluxe Version
- Country of Origin
- USA / Canada
- Universal Distribution
- Mono / Stereo
Rolling Stone (p.75) - Ranked #2 in Rolling Stone's '10 Best Reissues Of 2011' -- "[O]ne of rock's great acts of rebirth."
Rolling Stone (12/11/03, p.113) - Ranked #62 in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums Of All Time" - "...The album has lots of uncertainty, irony and distortion. It also has one of the most beautiful songs U2 ever recorded: 'One'..."
Rolling Stone (5/13/99, p.50) - Included in Rolling Stone's "Essential Recordings of the '90s."
Rolling Stone (1/9/92, p.50) - 4.5 Stars - Outstanding - "...the band is able to grow confidently and consistently on its own native strengths...few bands can marshal such sublime power..."
Spin (p.76) - "From ACHTUNG BABY on, panoramic ballads sat side by side with mini-rebellions..."
Spin (9/99, p.128) - Ranked #19 in Spin Magazine's "90 Greatest Albums of the '90s"
Entertainment Weekly (p.75) - "[E]ssential to understanding the most inscrutable stadium-filling band in history." -- Grade: A
Entertainment Weekly (11/29/91) - "..refreshingly personal - deeper and denser than any of the band's previous releases..." - Rating: A
Q (10/01, p.96) - Ranked #9 in Q's "Best 50 Albums of Q's Lifetime"
Q (12/99, p.70) - Included in Q Magazine's "90 Best Albums of the 1990s"
Q (12/91) - 5 Stars - Classic - "...U2's heaviest album to date. And best..." - One of Q Magazine's 50 best albums of 1991.
Magnet (p.60) - "[A] sexy, sleek and cynical synthesis of playful falsettos, Euro-trash dance grooves, grinding guitar tones...and a hopeless/heartbroken worldview ripped from the chest of Leonard Cohen."
CMJ (1/6/03, p.16) - Included in CMJ's list of "Top 25 College Radio Albums of All Time"
Musician (12/91) - "...ACHTUNG, BABY is dense, tough and endlessly surprising...a great accomplishment..."
Jazziz (Dec.-Jan./92, p.94) - Picked by critic John Dilberto as one of the 10 best albums of 1992.
New York Times (Publisher) (1/1/92) - "..Dense, self-serious and overly ambitious: all the things this band is rightfully famous for.."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.103) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "To call ACHTUNG BABY a pivotal release is an understatement....Carbed up on a diet of Bowie, Reed and (at a stretch) Talking Heads, Bono and chums opted for a more arty, corrosive battle plan..."
- Pop / Rock
- Release Date
- 1 May 2012
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Zoo Station
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Even Better Than the Real Thing
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] One
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Until the End of the World
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] So Cruel
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Fly, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Mysterious Ways
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Acrobat
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Love Is Blindness
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Lady with the Spinning Head [UV1]
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Blow Your House Down
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Salom‚
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Even Better Than the Real Thing [Single Version]
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] Satellite of Love
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses [Temple Bar Remix] - (remix)
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Paint It Black
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Even Better Than the Real Thing [Fish Out of Water Remix] - (remix)
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Mysterious Ways [The Perfecto Mix] - (remix)
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Night and Day [Steel String Remix] - (remix)
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Lounge Fly Mix, The - (remix)
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Fortunate Son
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova [From the RSC Production of A Clockwork Orange]
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] Where Did It All Go Wrong?
U2: Bono (vocals, guitar); The Edge (guitar, keyboards, background vocals); Adam Clayton (bass); Larry Mullen (drums).
Additional personnel: Daniel Lanois (guitar); Brian Eno (keyboards).
Recorded at Hansa Ton Studios, Berlin, Germany; Dog Town, S.T.S. and Windmill Lane Studios, Dublin, Ireland.
Personnel: The Edge (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Bono (vocals, guitar); Adam Clayton (bass guitar); Larry Mullen (drums, percussion).
Audio Mixer: Flood.
Recording information: Dog Town, Dublin, Ireland; Hansa Ton Studios, Berlin, Germany; Sts, Dublin, Ireland; WindMill Lane Studios, Dublin, Ireland.
Illustrator: Charlie Whisker.
Photographers: Richie Smyth; Anton Corbijn.
In 1991, U2 shocked the pop-music world with ACHTUNG BABY, a striking departure from the Irish band's beloved '80s arena-rock sound. Here the group careens into sonically adventurous territory, reveling in distorted guitars, drum loops, and layers of synthesizers.
The stunning opening track, "Zoo Station," kicks in with fierce, fuzzed-out guitar and a clanging industrial beat, Bono's distinctive voice the only tell-tale sign that this is indeed a U2 album. From here, ACHTUNG BABY deftly maneuvers between giddy electro-pop (the shimmering "Even Better Than the Real Thing," the funky "Mysterious Ways"), bold techno-tinged rock (the majestic punch of "Until the End of the World," the seductive squall of "The Fly"), and contemplative ballads (the heartbreakingly beautiful "One," the haunting closer "Love Is Blindness"). Throughout it all, the quartet plays to the peak of its abilities, aided by the atmospheric, top-notch production of Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. This is the record where Bono, for better or worse, fully embraced the role of "rock star," with the Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen, Jr. ably accompanying him every swaggering step of the way. One of the group's finest outings, ACHTUNG BABY is indisputably U2's most adventurous album.
- Date Released
- 2012-05-01 00:00:00
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Daniel Lanois
- 117m 59s
No reviews yet.