Very Best of Dr. John - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 420
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Mono / Stereo
- The Very Best of Dr. John
Producers include: Allen Toussaint, Harold Battiste.
Includes liner notes by Jeff Hannush.
Personnel: Dr. John (vocals, guitar, piano, keyboards).
Audio Remasterers: Ken Perry; Bill Inglot.
Liner Note Author: Jeff Hannusch.
This is a single disc distillation from Rhino's MOS' SCOCIOUS two-CD anthology. The 16 songs span over 20 years of music by New Orleans' own Mac Rebennack, aka Dr. John. He had more than a dozen years of experience under his belt when he "emerged" as Dr. John in the late '60s. His colorful, festooned stage shows carried him well into the '70s, after which he turned out some stellar solo piano works (DR. JOHN PLAYS MAC REBENNACK, THE BRIGHTEST SMILE IN TOWN), fine New Orleans funk (TELEVISION) and even some standards (IN A SENTIMENTAL MOOD).
This anthology neatly encapsulates everything that makes Dr. John one of the preeminent exponents of New Orleans music. For a deeper journey, the aforementioned double disc set is recommended, as it also includes some of his earliest work which date from the '50s, when he was still a teenager yet already a force to be reckoned with.
- Country of Origin
- WEA (Distributor)
- Dr. John
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Right Place, Wrong Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Such a Night
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Mama Roux
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Junko Partner
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Wash, Mama, Wash
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Loop Garoo
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Iko Iko
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Tipitina
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Jump Sturdy
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Qualified - (bonus track)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] What Comes Around (Goes Around)
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Mos' Scocious
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] I Walk on Guilded Splinters
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Honeydripper - (bonus track)
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Goin' Back to New Orleans
- Studio / Live
- Q (8/95, p.139) - 4 Stars - Excellent - "...both dazzles as a cultural document and makes one want to splash out on the parent albums..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.