Very Best of Dwight Yoakam - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 490
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Alt Country
- Mono / Stereo
- Pete Anderson; Pete Anderson; Jimmy Edwards (Compilation); Jimmy Edwards (Compilation); James Austin (Compilation)
- The Very Best of Dwight Yoakam
- Studio / Live
Personnel: Dwight Yoakam (vocals, guitar); Buck Owens (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Holly George-Warren.
Photographer: Davis Factor.
It's no coincidence that maverick country star Dwight Yoakam rose to prominence in Los Angeles during the 1980s, playing clubs with the likes of Los Lobos, X, and the Blasters. Yoakam's roots revivalism, which borrows equally from the Bakersfield honky-tonk of Buck Owens and vintage Sun Studios-era rockabilly, has much in common with a punk-inspired, back-to-basics approach. THE VERY BEST OF proves that despite--or maybe because of--Yoakam's category defiance, his music is immensely appealing.
Yoakam's willingness to bend the rules is evident in his choice of covers. Included here are a punchy version of "Suspicious Minds," a countrified take on Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me," and a swinging cover of Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." To these and other tunes, Yoakam brings his country-rock flair and his truly beautiful baritone croon. But nothing matches his late-'80s cuts, particularly the rave-up barroom classic "Honky Tonk Man" and Yoakam's own "Guitars, Cadillacs," standouts on this excellent collection representing one of country's coolest and most distinctive stars.
- Country of Origin
- WEA (Distributor)
- Dwight Yoakam
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Honky Tonk Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Guitars, Cadillacs
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Little Sister
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Little Ways
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Please, Please Baby
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Streets of Bakersfield
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I Sang Dixie
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Long White Cadillac
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Turn It on, Turn It Up, Turn Me Loose
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] You're the One
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Suspicious Minds
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] It Only Hurts When I Cry
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Ain't That Lonely Yet
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Thousand Miles from Nowhere, A
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Fast as You
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Crazy Little Thing Called Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] I Want You to Want Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Things Change
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Late Great Golden State, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Back of Your Hand, The
Uncut (p.138) - 3 stars out of 5 - "Spiritual heir to Gram Parsons, Yoakam was a similarly-transplanted southerner who fetched up on Los Angeles, riding the tip of the early-'80s new country swell."
Dirty Linen (pp.51-2) - "[A] nifty set of recordings that Yoakam contributed over the years to tribute albums..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.